Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I'm using a free mountain bike, I'm gonna try and score a cheep helmet. I don't want to invest much until I'm sure I enjoy this...

it's in a pond out and back, that is going to start in waves.

I'm hope'n to do a standard Tri at the end of the summer... I've got plans to do 5-7 Sprints by then.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Ditto to what everyone else said plus I will add in to train for the bricks. The swim to bike isn't bad, but the bike to run is terrible so make sure you train.

If you can get into open water, do it. It is completely different than in a pool.

Personally I bike in the shoes that I run in and just have the cages so I can "pull up" on the pedals. I haven't convinced myself that the clipless would make that much difference when you are changing shoes around. But I haven't tried so I can't say for sure.

If you are riding a mountain bike, you could enter that class.

If you don't have then, I recommend tri shorts. They have a chamois so they will give padding during the bike but not as much as bicycle shorts so it will dry quicker and not feel like you are running with a pad between your legs. This way you only have to add the shirt, if you want.

Most make you cross the line with your race bib so I'd recommend getting a belt for it. So you can just grab and clip around you as you run. And if you don't wear a shirt then you don't have to worry about not having a place to pin it. http://www.nationalrunningcenter.com...ductinfo/FB23/

Other little things are to put your sunglasses on first, then your helmet - so when you take the helmet off for the run you don't rip the glasses off too. I usually set mine inside my helmet. I put both on right after I come in from the swim since you can't touch the bike without your helmet on.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Ditto to what everyone else said plus I will add in to train for the bricks. The swim to bike isn't bad, but the bike to run is terrible so make sure you train.

If you can get into open water, do it. It is completely different than in a pool.

Personally I bike in the shoes that I run in and just have the cages so I can "pull up" on the pedals. I haven't convinced myself that the clipless would make that much difference when you are changing shoes around. But I haven't tried so I can't say for sure.

If you are riding a mountain bike, you could enter that class.

If you don't have then, I recommend tri shorts. They have a chamois so they will give padding during the bike but not as much as bicycle shorts so it will dry quicker and not feel like you are running with a pad between your legs. This way you only have to add the shirt, if you want.

Most make you cross the line with your race bib so I'd recommend getting a belt for it. So you can just grab and clip around you as you run. And if you don't wear a shirt then you don't have to worry about not having a place to pin it. http://www.nationalrunningcenter.com...ductinfo/FB23/

Other little things are to put your sunglasses on first, then your helmet - so when you take the helmet off for the run you don't rip the glasses off too. I usually set mine inside my helmet. I put both on right after I come in from the swim since you can't touch the bike without your helmet on.
cool... thanks...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

I think you should do the whole thing in speedos and nipple tassles.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #16
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

get on facebook at look up a dude named jeremy tiller on my friends list, he used to do ironmans and he is a wealth of information, dude was sponsored and all, he was my old roommate in college

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I will if you will.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I've done half dozen or so...lots of great tips and people here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

Clean socks for bike ride and ANOTHER set for run - just to be safe.
practice your transitions otherwise it's very frustrating.
Open water swim in a crowd is something you can NEVER train for. You get hit, kicked, grabbed, pushed under, etc. Not always on accident. but it happens. If you're a kick ass swimmer, start near the front and outside. If you're anything less, start near the back and outside - just give yourself 5-10 seconds to cross the timing line and a little extra swim space.
Brick workouts are back to backs - swim then bike, bike then run. Bike to run is the hardest - no matter how good a runner or biker you are, it takes practice for your legs to figure out the difference and the first part of the run is like running on solid logs.
Start with a sprint distance - just to get the feel of it - you're also more likely to be around less fierce competitors - you'll get more help and tips by arriving early and striking up conversations with people.
Have fun! It's addicting!
(I was supposed to be doing a half ironman this summer - instead I'll be birthin' a baby...so now it's on for summer 2012...)

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
I've done half dozen or so...lots of great tips and people here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

Clean socks for bike ride and ANOTHER set for run - just to be safe.
practice your transitions otherwise it's very frustrating.
Open water swim in a crowd is something you can NEVER train for. You get hit, kicked, grabbed, pushed under, etc. Not always on accident. but it happens. If you're a kick ass swimmer, start near the front and outside. If you're anything less, start near the back and outside - just give yourself 5-10 seconds to cross the timing line and a little extra swim space.
Brick workouts are back to backs - swim then bike, bike then run. Bike to run is the hardest - no matter how good a runner or biker you are, it takes practice for your legs to figure out the difference and the first part of the run is like running on solid logs.
Start with a sprint distance - just to get the feel of it - you're also more likely to be around less fierce competitors - you'll get more help and tips by arriving early and striking up conversations with people.
Have fun! It's addicting!
(I was supposed to be doing a half ironman this summer - instead I'll be birthin' a baby...so now it's on for summer 2012...)
yeah I've been checking out that link for a couple days now... good stuff.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

SWIM: the swim KILLED me. I started 178 of 200 or so (done by registration time) was fourth to last out of the pool but all 4 of them started before me. (they started each of us in 5sec waves)

I wasn't in a hurry and wanted to keep my buddy company as he struggled BIG TIME with the swim (he was 167 and came out the water a good 2 mins after me)

BIKE: went about 1/8 of a mile and the chain came off... fixed it but my buddy left me ( I think he thought I was gonna catch him... uh not so much) took about a mile before I was second to last over all (position wise) the only guy behind me spent a good 5 min throwing up from almost drowning on the swim.

He caught me at the 6 of 16 mile mark... we chatted for a bit then he took off... didn't see him until I was finishing my bike portion as he was halfway on his run.

Yeah, I was probably a good 20 min behind the closest bike and that was someone who had a flat! sucks being on a mountain bike on this shit! and I realized at mile 13 that my front brake was dragging, couldn't do anything about it now though.

all in all... the bike kicked my fucking ass... though I'd have done better if 1. the brake wasn't dragging and 2. if I hadn't stopped 9 times to put the chain on... (would have been 10 but I coasted into the transition)

RUN: holy hell... I knew my legs would feel like lead but god damn... I had no idea just how badly! I ended up walking the first mile (was in last position and probably over all by then so no worries) ran mile 2 and the last 3/4 of a mile.

OVER ALL: I love it... it showed me just how much I need to train! I don't know my exact time... though I don't care. I just wanted to finish and I did.

I am slightly disappointed in having to walk part of the run... but I'll do better next time. Can't do much worse than LAST... then again... I Started and Finished