Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I didn't mean to be a debbie downer... in my case I've been lucky that I have found a small handful of people where I work with whom I get along very well.. but I didn't choose to work here because of that, I didn't have much of a choice (where I wanted to work unfortunately didn't get any funding for full-timers). A job was a job for me. But if I'd had a choice back then.. I would drive a little further to be where I was before since I knew and liked just about everyone I worked with.

That being said... in spite of not being buddy buddy with a lot of people here, I am in a position of higher responsibility and higher visibility. My network within this (relatively) small community of full-time National Guard has expanded, and being that I knew no one here before, I think in having to prove myself I have earned more respect than just being grandfathered in.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
I know a few of you drive more than 40 miles to work every day...and I know Paul takes a car, 2 trains, a ferry then a hover-round to get to HIS work....but why do you do it?

Is the pay THAT much better?

To live in a better place?

4 days a week: Drive 3 miles (no traffic, half of it is sidestreets) to the station and nap on the train for 1 hour and 9 minutes. Then I walk a mile to the office.
Stress free traveling. Maybe 3 times a year there is a significant delay on the train but its rare (atleast on my train).

1 day a week and any day when the weather sucks: Drag my ass outta bed at 8:59am to make it to work at 9:00am. Bout a 30 second commute.

Why do I do it? Pays nice, working in the city is great...especially when the warm weather hits. I'd rather deal with my commute then spend 30 minutes in Long Island traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post

4 days a week: Drive 3 miles (no traffic, half of it is sidestreets) to the station and nap on the train for 1 hour and 9 minutes. Then I walk a mile to the office.
Stress free traveling. Maybe 3 times a year there is a significant delay on the train but its rare (atleast on my train).

1 day a week and any day when the weather sucks: Drag my ass outta bed at 8:59am to make it to work at 9:00am. Bout a 30 second commute.

Why do I do it? Pays nice, working in the city is great...especially when the warm weather hits. I'd rather deal with my commute then spend 30 minutes in Long Island traffic.
30 minutes in LI traffic is like 3 exits on the southern state LOL. If we ge tthe WTC gig I will be joining you on the train
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
CasterTroy

Quote:

4 days a week: Drive 3 miles (no traffic, half of it is sidestreets) to the station and nap on the train for 1 hour and 9 minutes.

Granted it sounds like you can work from home occationally..but what about "lunches with the kids" and or "pipe burst at the house and need to get home"

Ever get concerned with being an hour from home?

I mean JUST today (ironically right before my buddy called) I had to run home to fix the wireless router for my wife (she DOES have a home office)

And thankfully I DO have that freedom here. Not only can I leave and do anything pretty much anytime I want too...I'm close to home.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:

Yikes, I rather spend 30 minutes in LI traffic! I hate the train, esp during rush hour if I can't get a seat. Maybe the LIRR is different. But I really can't stand being packed like sardines, and having someone breathing all over me and rubbing up against strangers.

Troy, do you own or rent? I am not sure I would want to do a 40 mile commute for years on end but I could prob do it for a year or 2. I moved to be closer to school last year to what I thought was a nice apt complex. But the tenants were all really creepy and there was always a lot of crime. So when my lease was up, I moved back to the side of town I was before. Its about a 30 mile commute one way on some days but it was worth it to be back in an area where I felt safe. I am not sure where I will end up work wise if I stay in Vegas after I graduate, new grad nursing jobs here are scarce so I am going to take a job where I can if I choose to stay. But I doubt I will move out of this side of town.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

My commute is about 50 miles round trip. It was less than 10 miles about 5 years ago. The reasons for moving farther away aren't really relevant anymore, but I like living on the south side of Austin too much to move back closer to work. Also, now that the kiddo is in preschool, working from home is a real option.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Granted it sounds like you can work from home occationally..but what about "lunches with the kids" and or "pipe burst at the house and need to get home"

Ever get concerned with being an hour from home?

I mean JUST today (ironically right before my buddy called) I had to run home to fix the wireless router for my wife (she DOES have a home office)

And thankfully I DO have that freedom here. Not only can I leave and do anything pretty much anytime I want too...I'm close to home.
My wife is a stay at home mom and can handle the emergencies. There have been occasions where I have to rush home (not really "rush since off peak trains take an hour and a half) but it is what it is.

I may eventually get to the point where I just work from home full time.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Yikes, I rather spend 30 minutes in LI traffic! I hate the train, esp during rush hour if I can't get a seat. Maybe the LIRR is different. But I really can't stand being packed like sardines, and having someone breathing all over me and rubbing up against strangers.

Troy, do you own or rent? I am not sure I would want to do a 40 mile commute for years on end but I could prob do it for a year or 2. I moved to be closer to school last year to what I thought was a nice apt complex. But the tenants were all really creepy and there was always a lot of crime. So when my lease was up, I moved back to the side of town I was before. Its about a 30 mile commute one way on some days but it was worth it to be back in an area where I felt safe. I am not sure where I will end up work wise if I stay in Vegas after I graduate, new grad nursing jobs here are scarce so I am going to take a job where I can if I choose to stay. But I doubt I will move out of this side of town.
The upside for you is theres plenty of nursing jobs around so you can go where ever you want.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post

City girl

LIRR is MUCH different than the subways.
Express trains are MUCH different than non express LIRR trains.
My train makes three stops and that's it. Plenty of room and rarely are all the seat occupied.

Quote:
Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
City girl

LIRR is MUCH different than the subways.
Express trains are MUCH different than non express LIRR trains.
My train makes three stops and that's it. Plenty of room and rarely are all the seat occupied.
I doubt theres an express train running out of seaford. Thats what was nice about elmont, could jump down to valley stream and hit the city from there