Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Ditto. I wasn't ready for school yet, wasn't mature enough. Military changed that.
Prolly could have used it out of HS, took me a couple of years to get my shit together too.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I 'used' my college degree (ie was in a profession for which the little piece of paper says "This is what you do") for 2 years. Since then, I use probably 1% of what I learned in college for work. The little piece of paper has allowed me to climb the ladder, however.
Same here... I am just now using my 2nd degree, but not really. It 'qualified' me for the position... frankly, my previous job and my high school computer technology class taught me more of what I use on a daily basis than either of my degrees.

I'd like to see high school vocational programs gain more steam... Plumbers, auto mechanics, etc... are skilled trades that can offer a kid a much better option than college.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

So for those who might find value in attaining knowledge covering a broad array of subjects to broaden their horizons...go to college. Some of my favorite classes were the ones that had nothing to do with my major or job.

For those who just want a job prep course, go find a "vocational training facility" or a college that offers a program that is very specific at sticking to the typical fields covered by the major in question.

I can understand how some would see information that has nothing to do with helping them make money at work as "useless". I don't respect it nor would I want any of my children to take that adopt such an attitude, but I understand why some would choose to take that position. Common with the youngins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I didnt not go to college, but thankfully have had the luck to get job positions (that are typically held by graduates) and have proven myself with my experience and skills alone. I plan to go back to school but havent gotten around to it yet.

This statement in the article i agree with wholeheartedly:

Quote:
Professor Lerman, the American University economist, said some high school graduates would be better served by being taught how to behave and communicate in the workplace.
Dealing with the college students in my current profession makes me wonder daily what these idiots are learning when they have no social skills, no ability to function without mommy or daddy pulling the strings. These kids dont even know how to write a check! And working with them? Dear gawd. They have no social grace, they cant carry on a conversation with a coworker or client, no phone skills, they dont even have the sense to call in sick, instead opting to just not show up and then wonder why they got fired.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I didnt not go to college, but thankfully have had the luck to get job positions (that are typically held by graduates) and have proven myself with my experience and skills alone. I plan to go back to school but havent gotten around to it yet.

This statement in the article i agree with wholeheartedly:

Dealing with the college students in my current profession makes me wonder daily what these idiots are learning when they have no social skills, no ability to function without mommy or daddy pulling the strings. These kids dont even know how to write a check! And working with them? Dear gawd. They have no social grace, they cant carry on a conversation with a coworker or client, no phone skills, they dont even have the sense to call in sick, instead opting to just not show up and then wonder why they got fired.

Interesting you say that, a friend of mine is a junior in the PA program I graduated from. She says on a whole its a young class so most of them havent had real jobs or real world expierences yet. So there already has been a lot of drama/problems with some of them, and its worse with the senior class. been hearing from preceptors about issues of professionalism among a few of them. I worked a shift with one of them, I told him a few things on how to handle himself but he didnt need my advice apparently. safe to say he got a real shitty eval.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

It's standard. These kids think they can do whatever they want, talk to people in whatever manner they choose and they still expect to get good reviews. In my last 3 jobs I have had to train two persons completely on their interpersonal skills. As in, "we dont answer the phone with "yeah". We dont end phone calls with "whatever", and no matter how much we want to punch somone in the fae, we refrain. The not calling in sick thing really kills me tho. On what planet is it okay to just disappear? They have no sense of responsiblity or thoughts towards other people. As in, you dont show up, you just screwed your teammate. They just dont care.

Not only that, but no one has taught these kids how to dress either. How about an interviewee showing up in ratty torn jeans and a tank top for a professional municipal city position? Or showing up to work in an outfit like that.

*sigh* I am throwing away my soapbox. It drives me too nuts to even contemplate.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
It's standard. These kids think they can do whatever they want, talk to people in whatever manner they choose and they still expect to get good reviews. In my last 3 jobs I have had to train two persons completely on their interpersonal skills. As in, "we dont answer the phone with "yeah". We dont end phone calls with "whatever", and no matter how much we want to punch somone in the fae, we refrain. The not calling in sick thing really kills me tho. On what planet is it okay to just disappear? They have no sense of responsiblity or thoughts towards other people. As in, you dont show up, you just screwed your teammate. They just dont care.

Not only that, but no one has taught these kids how to dress either. How about an interviewee showing up in ratty torn jeans and a tank top for a professional municipal city position? Or showing up to work in an outfit like that.

*sigh* I am throwing away my soapbox. It drives me too nuts to even contemplate.
Work at a call center... it's not just kids... it's adults too... It's fucking SCARY. However, when someone comes in with the right mindset, discipline, and work ethic... especially a young one... it makes you appreciate that person much, much more.

There is one benefit to all of this... it just makes you and I all that much more marketable.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

My first degree was utterly useless. But it did allow me to get a teaching job overseas, which made me realize that I did want to be a teacher back home. I came home and took an B. Ed afterwards. So in a way, my first ( psych) degree did lead to my current career where I do use my education and the degree.

I totally agree with you about people entering the work force today. At the previous school I worked for T.A's would not bother to show up and not call in. On what planet is that professionalism? The worse part is that it was accepted!!! If I had been the principal people would have been fired right left and centre there!

Last edited by sherri_chickie; 05-18-2010 at 04:03 PM..
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I go to a tech school and have many people in my classes with bachelor degrees. A lot of them have useless degrees such as sociology, education, or an art degree. Now they are going for an associates in some kind of medical field.

On the High School level I think a GED actually looks better than a HS diploma. You actually have to try for a GED.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Most people would be better off serving in the military before college.
Now if we could finish of those pesky wars I might get to school this decade
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote