Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I have both and slightly prefer the hydraulic. By the way, the fluid in my clutch gets dirty way sooner than the brake fluid. But it's a no-brainer to change and bleed.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I have both and slightly prefer the hydraulic. By the way, the fluid in my clutch gets dirty way sooner than the brake fluid. But it's a no-brainer to change and bleed.
I mentioned heat because it's what causes brake fluid to lose effectiveness, right? I wonder why yours gets so dirty, so quick? I think that I changed clutch fluid once and that probably wasn't necessary...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Had a hydraulic on an Aprilia, and it was smooth as silk......no rough spots like some cable clutches have. But it leaked down near the slave cylinder, so it needed bleeding every 2 weeks That wasn't very difficult, though......I would just do the lazy-man bleed......Hold the lever in, put a rag over the bleeder, and give it a real quick open-close with a wrench.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I've had both. More time on the hydra. Hand felling, the hydra is like having power brakes, and the cable is like not having power brakes.

They're the same. Some are smooth, some are clunky, some depends on the adjustment, etc etc.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I have a bike with each and I prefer the cable
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I never had a hydraulic clutch so I can't really say what my preference would be. I suppose I would like the feel of the cable but

Erik - "hydraulic clutches suck"
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Its a hard choice. I like cable, especially on dirtbikes. But i've had sportbikes with hydraulic clutches and they performed flawlessly. Cable may feel better, but hydraulic is pretty nice too.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I mentioned heat because it's what causes brake fluid to lose effectiveness, right? I wonder why yours gets so dirty, so quick? I think that I changed clutch fluid once and that probably wasn't necessary...
Doing mostly street riding, I must use my clutch lever 50 times to 1 use of the brake lever. All that movement probably lets in more dirt and moisture than the brake line. And with the little window in the reservoir, I change it when I can actually see color.

On my Suzuki, when I changed to braided brake lines, I changed to DOT 5 silicone fluid. That was in 1982. The best thing about it is it doesn't absorb water. Regular brake fluid does absorb water. The water in brake fluid is what boils and degrades brake performance. When the fluid becomes dirty or cloudy, it's probably absorbed water and it's time to change it.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #19
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Having had both, I'm fine with either.
Also, I'm with Trip. I'm not dicking with the fluid when it comes time to change it out on the 1125.
If you are comfortable bleeding brakes you can just as easily bleed the clutch. Done it many times on my futura, only PITA on that bike is accessing the slave cylinder. I think its out in the open on the 1125, I will check tomorrow when I go home.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #20
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Just make sure the seals arent breaking down, had that problem on the futura and had to bleed it out every 2 weeks till I replaced the slave cylinder and havent had a problem since.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote