Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track > MotoGP

View Poll Results: Is Rossi the G.O.A.T.?
Yes 16 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I'll go with yes.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Ago never rode a 190hp 500cc two stroke.

I also think the competition is tougher now, with all the new technology, fitness regimes(think Barry Sheene), coaching, tires and machinery.

Vale, hands down.
Yea I have to give you this point. no offense to Ago fans but I bet Nicky Hayden could take his ass. Back when they raced, they weren't athletes like they are now and the bikes were monsters for sure but not like now. I don't know for sure but it seemed as though a lot of people racing back in those days were more Isle of Mann types-wildcards and occasional racers. Not professional racers like now. The lowliest privateer bike would crush any of the old bikes without ever taking it out of 4th gear. IMHO.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
ago never had modern frame or tire tech either. tell you what, you go out and break the shit out of rossi's leg ad see how he does. i might yield my position

i also want to see rossi race a screamer vs everyone else on big bang
Rossi did race with a broken leg.
Quote:
Bad luck striked again in Assen, as Rossi suffered crash in free practice and ended day with broken bones in his hand and leg. However, Rossi decided to take place in the race despite injuries, qualifying last on the grid. In race, Rossi made his way through the field to end in respectable 8th place.
Aogs early bikes might have had 40-50hp, they didn't need modern frame or tire tech. The later ones were 500 smokers, but did not put out the same power that Rossi had to deal with. Even with the big bang motors, they were still mega wicked, and hard to ride.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Rossi did race with a broken leg.

Aogs early bikes might have had 40-50hp, they didn't need modern frame or tire tech. The later ones were 500 smokers, but did not put out the same power that Rossi had to deal with. Even with the big bang motors, they were still mega wicked, and hard to ride.
meh
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

I want to see Rossi or any of the modern WSBK/GP champs and contenders on the Island of Man TT. I spoke with the Bostrom Brothers and they said not only no, but HELL NO!!!

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 AM   #16
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea I have to give you this point. no offense to Ago fans but I bet Nicky Hayden could take his ass. Back when they raced, they weren't athletes like they are now and the bikes were monsters for sure but not like now. I don't know for sure but it seemed as though a lot of people racing back in those days were more Isle of Mann types-wildcards and occasional racers. Not professional racers like now. The lowliest privateer bike would crush any of the old bikes without ever taking it out of 4th gear. IMHO.
fine, against doohan then.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:44 AM   #17
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I want to see Rossi or any of the modern WSBK/GP champs and contenders on the Island of Man TT. I spoke with the Bostrom Brothers and they said not only no, but HELL NO!!!

For that reason alone I hold Carl Fogarty in high regard. He broke the record in 92 or 93 and held it for 7 years. That's impressive. That's a 123 mph lap on machinery from 18 years ago. The 130 mph mark was just broken in the last couple years.

I give Rossi all the credit in the world (even more to Haga) but the TT is the real test in my eyes...
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #18
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
fine, against doohan then.
The only reason Doohan was dominant was because he was there in a time when there was no competition. The two years he races with Rainey and Schwantz, they both won the title(Doohan might have in 92, if it wasn't for Assen), but he was no where near dominant when racing against talent. From 94 on, once everybody good retired, he won everything. By default.

Rossi has had to race against good talented racers his entire career.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

Why is the TT a true racers test?...It's not because of anything more than you have to be crazy to do it...Even Ago admitted to that when his best friend got killed racing there...He never raced the TT after that death...
L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8 Braker View Post
Why is the TT a true racers test?...It's not because of anything more than you have to be crazy to do it...Even Ago admitted to that when his best friend got killed racing there...He never raced the TT after that death...
So accordingly anything he did after that should not count, because he was no longer a 'real racer'.