Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
its just a question of how vigorously said laws are enforced. Piss off acop durring a traffic stop and you can bet he will find more tickets to write you up for.

Sometimes with bikes its a little different since it seems some cops arent fully aware of the laws governing bikes.
Cops aren't judges. They don't interpret the laws, they enforce them. 56 in a 55 is breaking the law so they SHOULD be giving you a ticket. Until now, they have been interpreting the speeding law(in your favor). Cops are not supposed to use "judgment". Their job is black and white. It's up to the judge to decide what you did is wrong. I know I'm giving a civics lesson.

Last edited by Rider; 03-31-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
They should call it law enforcement, and the laws were passed for the safety of society at large so they cut out the middle man and say 'for safety'.
Most LEOs do not enjoy traffic or speed control but they are pressed to it by guess who? Dpt heads and revenue hungry bureaucrats.
There are rare occasions where it is for a safety issue or civilian complaints but usualy targeted enforcement comes from above like you stated.

in NYC its worse with the parking gestappo. the city would go bankrupt if people parked legally, the city banks on x amount of dollars from parking tickets
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I have always been close to city and county governments. Alot of those officers are under pressure to perform from the bean counters. At that small level you have to earn your pay, your ride, your equipment in order to subsidize the govt funds. Or you simply find another job...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
How are you going to stop it? There is a fine and penalty for every law on the books. You break the law you pay the penalty and or fine. How can you fight that? You want to beat them, don't speed..
If every citizen who got a speeding ticket refused to pay it something would have to be done to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Cops aren't judges. They don't interpret the laws, they enforce them. 56 in a 55 is breaking the law so they SHOULD be giving you a ticket. Until now, they have been interpreting the speeding law(in your favor). Cops are not supposed to use "judgment". Their job is black and white. It's up to the judge to decide what you did is wrong. I know I'm giving a civics lesson.
Actually, cops are very much supposed to use their judgement and discretion. That is part of their training...or at least it used to be.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

[Quote:]
The current-year budget cuts, proposed last month by County Executive Isiah Leggett (D), were designed to get a jump on a shortfall next fiscal year that officials have estimated could reach $608 million.

But during the council's session Tuesday, Montgomery budget director Joe Beach said that a drop-off in state and federal revenue and in speed-camera proceeds, plus a rising tally of snow-removal costs, could push the shortfall to $690 million.[/quote]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020903482.html

They have already quit talking safety in my county-it's all about the revenue. Towns have started petitioning the state for a cut of the cameras located in "their" areas.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Actually, cops are very much supposed to use their judgement and discretion. That is part of their training...or at least it used to be.
Sure on things that aren't clearly defined. Laws are very well defined so if you break the law, you get a ticket/arrested/fined or a combination of the 3. If it's bullshit, we have judges who can dismiss your case or lesson your charge.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

If tickets were about " safety" they would ticket the idiots on the road going 10 or 20 K under the speed limit pissing off the other drivers just trying to drive the posted speed (on clear roads of course) They are just as dangerous as speeders. This town is full of idiots in the fast lane going WELL under the posted limit..GRR
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I drove to work the other day (about 35 miles) and saw 10 cops.

A friend of mine had to call 911 because he got in a fender bender and it took the cops almost 3 hours to show up.

Safety my ass.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

When I am in the cage or commuting I really don't speed, but if they catch me in the Ozarks back roads they wont have to use any judgment or discretion. All they have to do is figure out how to catch a ton up sportbike or 4. Which they can and sometimes do.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

wanna make a ton of money for your particular organization LEO's?

Listen closely:

Ticket people who sit in the left lane and you can leave the speed cushion alone.

You'll probably make 5X the $$.

Problem solved AND you'll actually do some good preventing congestion.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.

Last edited by Particle Man; 03-31-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote