Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Holy cow, how long are you going to be gone? BTW I took my dog on vacation with me... I'm sure that the vet would take a card number over the phone.Even if just to secure payment for services until you get home.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I may be the anomaly here. How good a friend is she? Have you known her a long time?

If she's not *that* good a friend that you would automatically trust her with your CC, why would you trust her with your dog?

I would trust my best friend with my life, and everything down from there. If we were in your situation, it wouldn't even need to be said. Things would be taken care of and we would square up with each other later.

I agree...of course I wouldn't have to pay my friends to dog sit either....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

I totally trust her, I am VERY picky on who I ask to watch the dog. He's my baby. I am just one to always think about the worst case possibilities.

My original plan was to fly my Mom here from the Mainland, she is my first choice to doggie-sit. Ironically she is already doggie-sitting for my brother and can't make it. I figured I was going to pay that much for airfare, I could pay someone at least half that amount to doggie-sit.

The reason I offered to pay, is my dog is well-loved (read = spoiled) and I want the person home evenings and over-night while I am gone. Not just someone to check in a few times to walk/feed him. It will give me peace of mind to know he is getting the extra attention while I am gone.

PS: Dogs cannot travel in/out of Hawaii that easy, due to there are no rabies in Hawaii.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Tmall has the best idea. It's the best of both worlds; having the money available, without having to trust someone with having access to it the whole time. There are two people in the world I would trust with something like that and neither of them is my mother. What other people think is an emergency isn't necessarily what you do.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #15
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

NEVER trust ANYONE with your credit cards. Sorry, but speak from experience. If you are worried about a vet bill, contact the vet, let them know who will be keeping your pets, and give them permission to treat in an emergency, then you can give them cc info over the phone. Otherwise, a prepaid cc hidden in the house until needed sounds like a good way to go.

My vet even requires a signed authorization, just like you do with the kids.
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

first, no way would I leave someone with a CC of mine. Too tempting to think many "normal" things become emerg. all vets I have dealt with had no problem taking my CC over the phone when a friend brought my dog into their office. As well as other businesses.

second, honestly don't be offended if she doesn't treat fido the same as you would. just because your dog is very spoiled by you doesn't mean he will be by her. i doubt she will actually be giving up her evenings to spend time with a dog just because she is paid to do that. I say that from experience. people often think you are crazy (not you particularly but pet owners in general) if you treat your dog very well and are not likely to do the same as you would while your gone.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I like the hide the card idea. Or just check with your vet before hand if they would take a credit card over the phone.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

We have a dog sitter quite often. We have an agreement with our Vet about payment. We actually have a CC on file with them for emergencies.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
Rider
Moto GP Star

If anything happened you could contact the vet and make arrangements to pay via CC over the phone. Any other misc charges for food or whatever could be paid back to your friend upon your return. I have dog sitters a lot and I NEVER leave them money. Never had too. My dog sitters know where my vet is and if something happened, the vet would surely perform any medical procedures and send me a bill later.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #20
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I've looked after a lot of dogs for friends. I treat them just as good as my own and sometimes better because it's someone new to spoil.

I like the idea of "hiding" the card and she can call you and use it in the case of an emergency. But also, like others have said, your vet will more than likely take the cc number over the phone.

Good luck! I know how stressful it can be to leave your baby.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote