Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Sux to hear. putting shingles on the roof istn bad depending on the location/slope of the roof. I learned how to do them fo rmy shed and came out prety good except where I got lazy in a few spots.

Hope it all goes well for ya
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

One guy returned my call and popped over with his crew to do it. Patched and no longer leaking for 200 bones, in a shitty storm. Can't complain I guess..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Make sure all the water damage gets cleaned up... That shit can get into the worst places in a house and before you know it, you're REALLY facked.

Mold, rotting, etc

These things are definitely not your friends

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Make sure all the water damage gets cleaned up... That shit can get into the worst places in a house and before you know it, you're REALLY facked.

Mold, rotting, etc

These things are definitely not your friends
As soon as it happened I tore out the wall it was leaking through and caught all of the water to limit the damage. There are rubber maid containers full of water in the attic as well.

I even pulled the insulation from between the rafters so it could dry out. I have fans and a heater up there, gonna leave them run over night then patch everything up tomorrow.

I think I caught it quick enough. It was just a drip when I caught it, and by the time I was done I had several leaks and a series of troughs made with garbage bags directing all of the water into buckets and tubs.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Good call dude. I've been there with my parents' house and it wasn't pretty

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

In other home improvement news...I had new windows put in on Friday in hurricane like winds.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
In other home improvement news...I had new windows put in on Friday in hurricane like winds.
I bought a fixer-upper. I knew it would need work, but I had a plan. New windows at the start of summer, new roof at the end of summer, and new floors just before winter.

NOw that I need the roof asap, it really messes with my plans.

I actually think I'm just going to do it myself. It's not at all hard, I've helped do many roofs and know plenty of people who are handy and who will work for beer.

As for insurance, that side of the roof needed to be replaced. It was already in planning mode. Some of the shingles were starting to lift at the corners, and those are the ones that are gone.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I bought a fixer-upper. I knew it would need work, but I had a plan. New windows at the start of summer, new roof at the end of summer, and new floors just before winter.

NOw that I need the roof asap, it really messes with my plans.

I actually think I'm just going to do it myself. It's not at all hard, I've helped do many roofs and know plenty of people who are handy and who will work for beer.

As for insurance, that side of the roof needed to be replaced. It was already in planning mode. Some of the shingles were starting to lift at the corners, and those are the ones that are gone.
Our house was largely renovated before we moved it. We put in central air last summer and replaced the last 7 windows that were not done before. I have no idea why all but 7 windows were replaced before. But they are done now. Wife wants to do tile in the kitchen next. And we're buying new furniture. Looked at some nice leather stuff yesterday.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

This winter has played havoc on my front walkway and front landing. Going to call a concrete guy tomorrow.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

So I get home from work today, and the big tree that broke in my backyard was gone! Somebody came and took it, even cut down the stump. Barely left a mark on the grass when they took it.

I wasn't sure whether to be pissed or not, then settled on it being mutually beneficial. Apparently some tree removal company came and took it. Works for me, I didn't request it so it's free and they get firewood maybe?