Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I have always dug the RT
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

And here I was thinking, "Who were the second and third after Archren?"...
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
And here I was thinking, "Who were the second and third after Archren?"...
I was wondering if he counted her bikes in that figure. Or does he really have six
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Where do you live G-Rex?

I am thinking about getting a long distance tourer..but have really no idea what to get.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Where do you live G-Rex?

I am thinking about getting a long distance tourer..but have really no idea what to get.
I'm in Oklahoma City.

As for a long distance tourer, there are many options obviously. I had narrowed my list down to the RT based on a few things a while back before this deal ever came up.

FJR: Good looking bike. 6.6 gal fuel tank. 490 watt alternator output. The FJR was in the running, as it had the important things I wanted. Looks, lots of fuel, and a high output alternator. Only negative with the FJR was alot of complaints about heat.

Concours: 5.8 gal fuel tank. Don't remember the alternator output, but I remember it not being anything super impressive. Love the Concours too, and it would have been in the running, but I wasn't going to upgrade from the Busa for only .3 extra gallons of fuel capacity.

ST1300: 6.6 gal fuel tank. 700 watt alternator output I think it was. Great bike on paper, but it just didn't do anything for me in the looks department. I'm just not a Honda guy.

R1150RT: 6.6 gal fuel tank. 700 watt alternator output. Great looking motorcycle in my opinion. Adjustable seat height also. I think one of the others above had that too, but don't remember which without going back and researching again.

The other benefit for the BMW is this. How many do you see with 300,000 miles, 400,000 miles, or more? Many of them. This tells me they're doing something right. I want a bike that I can put serious miles on and it will keep going with regular maintenance.

Just my .02 cents worth. Maybe this will help you with your decision. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I've looked at all of these bikes in depth at one time or another.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
CasterTroy

to echo Tracy

When I bought that RT it was the very first bike I set out to buy specifically purchase.

I did NOT get a killer deal on it….as a matter of fact it was used and was only $2000 under what I could have gotten many new “leftover” models for. But yet I wanted THAT particular bike.
I wanted a specific color as well. So I flew to south florida and rode it back to upper NC like Tracy did. And had a shit-eatin grin on my face all the way back.
I too did loads of research on sport touring bikes prior to my choice. But the kicker was watching “The Italian Job” and seeing those bagless RT’s bein flogged like motards. I thought “yeah yeah, more Hollywood CGI” until I went to the BMW shop and rode a few.
I was SHOCKED! Granted it’s not got the absolute arm ripping torque that the Concours 14 has, but after 300 miles on the concours, your buddy will be asking to ride the RT for the NEXT gas hop I guarantee!
If you can have a sportbike AND a touring bike, there is no question an RT is something to consider. ESPECIALLY one that’s a STUPID deal that you would be kicking yourself in the ass for years if you DIDN’T take
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Didnt yamaha resolve the heat issue with the fjrs, heard the rerouted something in the bodywork.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Didnt yamaha resolve the heat issue with the fjrs, heard the rerouted something in the bodywork.
Supposedly on the 06/07's that was resolved. But you still read complaints about it.

FJR's have a cult following, and their owners seem to be MUCH more defensive than typical bike whores.

I've NEVER been loyal to one brand over another....there are plus' and minus' for every single mfg and bike....but never have I seen overprotection of a single model of bike like the FJR

I've ridden a few and liked them....just like the RT better.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Supposedly on the 06/07's that was resolved. But you still read complaints about it.

FJR's have a cult following, and their owners seem to be MUCH more defensive than typical bike whores.

I've NEVER been loyal to one brand over another....there are plus' and minus' for every single mfg and bike....but never have I seen overprotection of a single model of bike like the FJR

I've ridden a few and liked them....just like the RT better.
I was kicking around the fjr vs the connie as potential replacemtns for the priller. I like the looks of the fjr a lot better, but it seems the kawi got much better writeups last year. problem for me is theyre too heavy, would prefer someting in the 500 pound range instead.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #20
CasterTroy

Once you add bags, and the stuff you cram in them, they ALL are porkers!

What it came down to for ME was; which bike would I be the least tired after riding either 1000 miles on the hiway or 500 miles on the parkway at a good clip.

I did NC to Mexico on a busa, and NC to Canada on a K1200S and NC to Key West on a Blackbird.

Of the three the K1200S was the best in the curves, the blackbird the best for mile eating and the busa was just bad-ass all the time. But when loaded down they all three handled poorly. And at the end of the day on a trip, that RT made you dissapointed that you had to stop. Whereas all the OTHER bikes that were more sport than touring had me begging for shorter fuel stops (after about 700 miles)

Suspension was key for me. I HAD a sportbike...so why did I need another one? While the RT was pretty nimble, overall it had a VERY tall suspension and long travel, and ate bumps and crappy roads like they were chocolate syrup. And while it weighed more than the FJ or concours, once rolling (and even rolling SLOW) the weigh difference dissapeared.