Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
When I came out of college, the first job I was offered was as a machinist's apprentice. I turned it down, because I was damned well going to use the education I paid for. I might not be making what I am now if I'd gone that way, and I might have been out of a job a few times along the way (which I was anyway, with the path I chose), but I would have been making more money faster than I did. Hell, I wish I had that skillset now.

There's nothing wrong, nothing embarrassing, about being in a skilled trade.It's good, honest work and a good income.
Man, I wish I had the balls and could afford to just turn my ship around and go for something like that... I love working with my hands, but I have zero skill... One of the few things I wish I wouldn't have listened to my dad about... Using my head instead of breaking my back... I think I could have done both, and would probably go home every day a bit more satisfied.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Man, I wish I had the balls and could afford to just turn my ship around and go for something like that... I love working with my hands, but I have zero skill... One of the few things I wish I wouldn't have listened to my dad about... Using my head instead of breaking my back... I think I could have done both, and would probably go home every day a bit more satisfied.
It definitely gives a sense of accomplishment to go home at night, after seeing something concrete that's been created by you own skill. I used to look at the 30 computers I would build in a day, or the stack of repaired equipment that was ready to ship out, and know that I'd done something worthwhile.

Then I became a manager and didn't see that physical manifestation of my own skill. Took some time to wrap my head around the fact that I was still producing, but not in the same way.

Now it's even more abstract because, while I'm still able to see things fixed and know that I've done something concrete, my actual 'product' is educated young people. The computers are just incidental to that.

Sometimes you just have to make something solid, to feel good about what you do.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I cant see the shit i produce, but the damn lights still turn on and my computer screen is lit up, so my shit hasnt failed yet, lol.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Honestly I think we need more blue collar workers... more welders, and skilled trades. But it's hard work, and oh no.... you might get dirty!! To make worse, you might not be able to wear dockers and a collared dress shirt!! And perhaps the $30/hr job won't be enough for you...

it's funny... until people NEED someone to do that, it's thought to be useless or beneath them...

I've been searching for a place locally that has welding classes, but unfortunately none that I can do with my work schedule. it's a skill I want badly.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
it's funny... until people NEED someone to do that, it's thought to be useless or beneath them...

I've been searching for a place locally that has welding classes, but unfortunately none that I can do with my work schedule. it's a skill I want badly.
Have you checked community colleges? Many do night school classes, for that sort of thing. Also things like heavy equipment operation, which is something I'd like to try.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
It definitely gives a sense of accomplishment to go home at night, after seeing something concrete that's been created by you own skill. I used to look at the 30 computers I would build in a day, or the stack of repaired equipment that was ready to ship out, and know that I'd done something worthwhile.

Then I became a manager and didn't see that physical manifestation of my own skill. Took some time to wrap my head around the fact that I was still producing, but not in the same way.

Now it's even more abstract because, while I'm still able to see things fixed and know that I've done something concrete, my actual 'product' is educated young people. The computers are just incidental to that.

Sometimes you just have to make something solid, to feel good about what you do.
Yeah, I'm so much happier working on special projects than I am doing my daily grind for that very reason... Something about zerobasing a department budget, then creating a new budget model from scratch.... or developing a new commission structure... or creating a plan to restructure that makes me want to come back the next morning. Sorta the same thing...

The other part of the fabrication is that I could use it for my hobbies... I'd love to be able to build my own bike or do some robotics projects that I've long since given up on... Sure, I could pay someone to do it, but that's ridiculously expensive and doesn't have that same sense of accomplishment.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Have you checked community colleges? Many do night school classes, for that sort of thing. Also things like heavy equipment operation, which is something I'd like to try.
the problem is my schedule. right now it's 3am to 3pm... after my leave it'll be 8am to ... supposed to be 6 but in reality it all depends on what my airmen have for me to deal with... rarely do I get off at 6... usually 8 or later

I just can't seem to find any that I wouldn't be missing an hr or two of class every time.

I'm gonna wait till I get to my next base, I'll have more time and a easier schedule to work with, and I plan on having a garage and equipment to practice on my own with.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I'm definitely regretting my current job and wish I would have gone into some kind of skilled trade. I never feel like I accomplish anything other than pushing paperwork. Problem is, the money is nice and there isn't much around this town where I can earn this amount of money with the benefits. I feel stuck and haven't been happy at work for awhile now.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I think I could have done both, and would probably go home every day a bit more satisfied.
With the new rapid prototyping machines and 9-axis CNC machines someone with machining skills and programming/CAD skills can probably make a killing.

My job has a lot of boom and bust where I can go from working 80 hours a week in the field to sitting at my desk surfing the internet for a month. Its been pretty slow lately so started working on a do it yourself aerial drone at home to challenge myself.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Honestly I think we need more blue collar workers... more welders, and skilled trades. But it's hard work, and oh no.... you might get dirty!! To make worse, you might not be able to wear dockers and a collared dress shirt!! And perhaps the $30/hr job won't be enough for you...
When I was in my first two years of college, my dad would say that with today's job market, I either needed to be in the medical field, or some sort of skilled trade. Hell, almost 2 degrees later, and I still don't know what the hell I want to do. I know what I WANT to do, but that is a different story.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote