Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Mac laptops are the fastest laptop PCs in the industry (PC Magazine tests).

Install Windows XP under Bootcamp, and you have a very versatile multi-boot machine indeed (add Ubuntu Linux, and triple boot for the world's most versatile machine).

Install VM Ware Fusion ($99) and you can run multiple instances of entire computers virtually (new installs of Windows, as well as virtual "copies" of any old PCs you may have) side-by-side (no reboot or shutdown required).
Good to know, but WAY over my paygrade. Definitely something interesting to look at when I figure out how to work it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
If your display has DVI input, you can get a Mini-Displayport to DVI adapter. The Apple one costs about $30, I think. I got a cheapo DVI-HDMI adapter, too. It makes a fugly chain, but works great for getting the screen output onto the TV.

Not sure correct term for it, but its a standard monitor cable hookup, can go to desk top and also fits the connector on my HP laptop. I've got the HDMI cable for the laptop to tv, but I just use the Xbox for that instead of the laptops.

There is a specific adaptor I read about for connecting the monitor, but until I really need it Im not going to worry about it. I live in BFE as far as shopping is concerned so I have to order everything online anyway.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I already like the MAC better as far as speed and screen quality, I'm looking for legitimate assistance, not your haterade opinions.
Well go post on a mac fanboy forum, not a moto forum. We are assholes here, what did you expect? We have a blatant history of mac hatred, you should of known better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Well go post on a mac fanboy forum, not a moto forum. We are assholes here, what did you expect? We have a blatant history of mac hatred, you should of known better.
If I wanted fanboys, I would have. Im looking for straight answers, which aside from the douchebaggedness running rampant around here, I can get from the few souls who's info on the matter I can believe.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Whatever you decide, you should also get a pocket protector and a pager.
Or two pagers..

I have no legitimate help for you.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
If I wanted fanboys, I would have. Im looking for straight answers, which aside from the douchebaggedness running rampant around here, I can get from the few souls who's info on the matter I can believe.
You aren't asking technical questions. You are asking basic use questions. The fanboys know that better than anyone since they use them more than anyone. You want that info because they know what works. You don't go to the lions den if you are a antelope and ask questions on grazing.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Good to know, but WAY over my paygrade. Definitely something interesting to look at when I figure out how to work it.
Trust me, none of what I described is difficult.

In fact, the VM Ware solution is super-fucking easy, and has online videos to guide you click-by-click through the process of virtualizing any PC.

Right now, my entire Windows based web and email Internet server (!) runs quietly behind one of my display panels, on my desk, under VM Ware, on a fucking Mac Mini in complete virtualization. Pure awesome. The bonus? It barely taxes the machine. I could probably run another Windows server right alongside the current one...
Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Not sure correct term for it, but its a standard monitor cable hookup, can go to desk top and also fits the connector on my HP laptop.
Sounds like a 15 pin VGA connection (plastic on the face of the connector is usually blue) on the monitor. That should work fine, but if you want there are probably some other connection options on the back of the monitor. Your Macbook will either have a Mini DisplayPort (newer, looks like a narrower USB port) or a Mini-DVI (older, looks complex). If whatever adapter you need wasn't included it should be available at Newegg, Tigerdirect, or similar websites.

I almost forgot, Mac sucks.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #18
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Yeah, to hook up a flat panel, you just need the appropriate dongle, either for VGA or HDMI, whichever your display panel takes. You can find the dongle for about $10 on eBay, or at the Apple Store for literally just a couple bucks more.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Computers suck. Period. Ignore the respective fanboi/haters. They're like fucking religious fanatics...
Old 08-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Computers suck. Period.
You know, I am actually getting this way. I thought about upgrading my comp to something new during the tax free weekend we had a few weekends ago and just realized I don't really want a new comp. Mine works fine and gets everything done that I need, plus why put more money into it when I am enjoying doing a lot more outside than I ever did before. dual sporting, fishing, etc... all of my main hobbies are getting more geared for outside away from what I do 40 hours a week, which is play on a computer.
Quote: