Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #11
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Don't they lock?

I mean don't you leave shit in there anyway? Mine are nearly full all the time.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

If that's the case, just put some weights in it. I am sure you could find some weights cheap at wally world. It wouldn't take up a whole lot of space, but would give you stability. I don't think anyone would snag them and if they did, you wouldn't really lose much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Rocks are heavy and free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

When did ktm develop a strong dealer network?
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
When did ktm develop a strong dealer network?
Well, "strong" might be too generous. But they certainly have a larger presence compared to Husky, at least in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
ask the peeps at cafehusky.com if they have any ideas.
I went ahead and posted up on Cafe Husky, thanks for that advice.

I'm also wondering if I should just get a DRZ. They're bullet proof and all over the place.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
jtemple
Geek

You talk about the DRZ being too light. It has a dry weight of 317 lbs. The Husky TE630 has a dry weight of 348 lbs. The KTM 690 Enduro has a dry weight of 305.4 lbs.

They're all pretty close. The Husky is easy to lighten by swapping out the chunky stock exhaust.

I'm more concerned about power-to-weight of the DRZ not being so highway friendly. The Husky and KTM have a good +20 hp on the DRZ. But damn if the DRZ isn't just an inexpensive, bomb proof, easy to get support for, do-it-all bike.

I'd just hate to get one and not be happy with it.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Don't they lock?

I mean don't you leave shit in there anyway? Mine are nearly full all the time.
no... what's the point? if they locked a quick swipe of a knife would have them open...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If that's the case, just put some weights in it. I am sure you could find some weights cheap at wally world. It wouldn't take up a whole lot of space, but would give you stability. I don't think anyone would snag them and if they did, you wouldn't really lose much.
really it's not a huge deal... as long as it's not a windy day (though it's almost always windy on the coast) I can ride at 75 on the freeway no issues... other than when I have to pass Semi's. but you get used to it.

I like the back roads though... it's slower... but really makes me feel like I'm "out there" further from what I know... gives a bit more adventure to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Rocks are heavy and free.
yeah... though they'd also shift like crazy on a motorcycle
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
You talk about the DRZ being too light. It has a dry weight of 317 lbs. The Husky TE630 has a dry weight of 348 lbs. The KTM 690 Enduro has a dry weight of 305.4 lbs.

They're all pretty close. The Husky is easy to lighten by swapping out the chunky stock exhaust.

I'm more concerned about power-to-weight of the DRZ not being so highway friendly. The Husky and KTM have a good +20 hp on the DRZ. But damn if the DRZ isn't just an inexpensive, bomb proof, easy to get support for, do-it-all bike.

I'd just hate to get one and not be happy with it.
Yeah... I hear ya. the DRZ is defiantly the pig of the group... especially when you add the (almost required) 4 gal tank I figure I'm sitting at 430 or so full... more than my 600RR(IIRC)... but still not as planted

the power to weight is nothing to brag about on the DRZ... even with the mods I have... I'm probably sitting at 42-43hp... you could get a 470cc kit but then you eat into the reliability...

from a performance standpoint... you'd be MUCH happier with the KTM or the Husky... though they're still gonna be a big let down from the ZX10.

I didn't look into the Husky because there really wasn't any place near me that sold them... and the KTM was just way to expensive, and maintenance schedule was WAY to high.

I got the DRZ because it's stupid easy to work on (though I did fuck up the jetting, but that's the first time I'd ever fucked with a carb) the maintenance schedule isn't nearly as demanding and parts are cheaper (though despite what the manual says every DRZ owner I talk to says change the oil every 1K) and there's a good size aftermarket.

I've put just over 6k on my bike since October... and only had two issues... 1 with in a week after buying it, I had no power... ended up being a piece of plastic from the 4 gal IMS tank got in the fuel line. and
2.just after jetting it... i had no power... I apparently didn't get something seated right.... fixed now though.

oh... I'm not sure what the KTM and Husky get for gas mileage... but I got 50mpg riding about 50/50 (aggressive/relaxed)... highest was 55... more relaxed... and lowest was 43... all freeway pretty much a WOT run...

now with the jetting, I'm getting 55mpg at 50/50... highest has been 57... and lowest 50.... about 3/4 freeway the rest aggressive back roads.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

ebbs, try bricks

Try being 100lbs and riding a 264lb dual sport a semi blows by. Thats not too fun either.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
jtemple
Geek

I guess my train of thought about the DRZ is why go through the time and money trying to get more power out of it when the Husky/KTM has it out of the box? The Husky is only $2000 more than the DRZ and is much more bike than a DRZ will be with $2000 in mods. I'm also not a big modder, either. My bikes say mostly stock.

As far as KTM maintenance goes, I don't think the 690 is all that bad. It's those EXC models that require constant wrenching.