Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
So my flex spending max limit is being cut in half and OTC medication cannot be paid for using a flex spending account. Great, way to fuck the working man there Obama...
Isn't that purely at the discretion of your employer? As I understand it, those who already have their own coverage should see little change.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Isn't that purely at the discretion of your employer? As I understand it, those who already have their own coverage should see little change.
My wifes company just sent out a release that if it passed the company would have to pay a 46% tax, so naturally they also said they would have to reevaluate our benefits package.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
My wifes company just sent out a release that if it passed the company would have to pay a 46% tax, so naturally they also said they would have to reevaluate our benefits package.
Sounds to me like someone should be verifying this with the insurer/government.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I think its going to take some time to figure out exactly whats what with this new bill. I am sure business, esp the smaller ones will need to re evaluate a lot of things depending on how it affects them.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #15
CasterTroy

Quote:
I guess you really don't have a grasp of how things really work in a non-corporate world do you?

Right to work state means that employers can offer you a benefits package...then re-evaluate it any way they see fit, or jerk it back altogether without any explanation.

Don't like it?

Quit

I work for an engineering firm with just 5 people....the owner said if insurance gets more expensive for HIM to provide for us, he simply won't offer a package at all and we'll be on our own.

Hope his desperate attempt to create a legacy for himself was worth it
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
I
Obama ran on a platform of health care reform and its a pretty big reason why he got elected. I think most people who wanted government health care reform wanted a single payer system, unfortunately we ended up with a half assed compromise as usual. Either way, Obama did what he could to give the people what he promised when he was elected.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
It doesn't seem too bad, considering how much some people pay right now. It sure is not "Canadian" style for those of you who worried. I can't imagine paying $27 k for health care premiums!!!!!
Practically nobody is paying $27k for health insurance for their family and even if they are they pay taxes on it already. This is a tax on employers paying the premiums.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Health care flexible spending accounts are tax free accounts managed by a person's insurance where a person can deposit money to cover health expenses throughout the year. The government sets the limits on the amount that is tax free and what the accounts can be used to purchase. This "reform" cuts both.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I am happy with my Flex spending account here and it's got about $1200 a year to a max of two years, which is plenty, but then again, I don't have co-pays

It looks to me like what EpyonXero said.. got a compromise... ( it's not great but maybe they can tweek it over the years?)
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
I guess you really don't have a grasp of how things really work in a non-corporate world do you?

Right to work state means that employers can offer you a benefits package...then re-evaluate it any way they see fit, or jerk it back altogether without any explanation.

Don't like it?

Quit

I work for an engineering firm with just 5 people....the owner said if insurance gets more expensive for HIM to provide for us, he simply won't offer a package at all and we'll be on our own.

Actually I was speaking in terms of whether or not the employer is lying, which would give your wife data regarding whether she should be looking elsewhere. I understand the euphemistically-named "right to work State" concept, which in order to be accurate should have been named "right to fire State."