Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #181
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
Please some see us. I'd love to have the opportunity to work with you.

We can pick you up at the airport.
The wheels are turning, I iwll shoot ya a PM either tonight or tomorrow but I think I will be booking a flight shortly

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #182
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

I think hes gonna make out on the deal, hes not insuring them or registering them, just loaded them on the trailer and drove home, they are gonna sit in his garage for the winter under sheets and come out to play in the spring.
I may be wrong, but I've never heard of a state that allows dealerships to sell bikes to someone without registering them. Sure, he could register them as non-op, but he still has to pay sales tax on them.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #183
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I may be wrong, but I've never heard of a state that allows dealerships to sell bikes to someone without registering them. Sure, he could register them as non-op, but he still has to pay sales tax on them.
I dont know the details, all I know is he didnt get tags because that would have cost more, and he was able to really negotiate because he bought a few of them
Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #184
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
I'll say it, and I think I said something about your HD, although i think it was mostly limited to admiring the size of your mobile home top bag

Actually I really do think HD has over the past few years targeted its audience toward the middle aged upper middle class male. More than anything else they sell the image of a bad ass biker. I think they could take a much larger market share than they already have If they would diversify their lineup. The enfield wouldnt be a good bike, the buell blast would be a great bike, it was buells best selling bike until they crushed it, They are trying with their xr line, which is a cool bike in its own right, but it doesn't have the sportbike image that the 19-29 demographic usually buys in the jap big 4.

If they can sell a bike that appeals to the cool boy sportbike crowd, that has the image of a gixxer then they would break into the sport bike market. We can all agree that buells were pretty good bikes, but they didnt have the cool boy image that a gixxer has, they appealed to folks that were already in the sportbike market and liked a bike that can handle. What it comes down to is that if you create the image then you sell the bike. More people ride to look cool than to enjoy riding.

Anyway HD sells the biker image, not the bikes. (there are exceptions though, what I said is not 100% for everyone)
Yeah my trunk is huge and crazy... I know. But that's what I got it for.

On the age...Really? I see more guys my age getting on HD's than ever before. Look at even the apperal in the dealerships. It is geared toward the late 20 yr olds. Opposite to what most people think. Not every 19yr old goes after getting a sportbike. Lots of them go into the cruiser market. And in that market HD is king. Everybody else is just trying to bite off a piece of that pie.

And I honestly didn't buy my bike for image alone. Sure it may be a part of it but isn't every bike? I bought it cause out there in that class, other than wings there is nothing that compares.

Quote:
HD doesn't need to get into sportbikes, they don't need to and they would fail anyway. The only thing they might want to consider is offering something for $10K or less so that younger people can afford it. Then again, why should they do anything? They are profitable enough as is.
There is no need to lower the price. Come on... a liter bike now is what... 12k? Your average fat boy, softtail... is only high teens.

Younger guy wants a HD... its simple.. buy used.

But you are right... why. They make enough money the way it is.

Quote:
It's a chicken and egg. They make high priced bikes because lower priced bikes don't sell. They have to finance these high priced bikes to people who can't afford them.

In the end, there are simply not enough buyers to keep the balls spinning at HD. It's a house of cards.
I disagree. They are already cutting back production to compensate for sales drops with economy in the tubes.

Quote:
Yup.

But give it a year or 2 and HD will be selling the same volume that they sold 2 years ago, I also truly believe that Buell (or an HD badged buellish sportbike) will have another bike out again within a 2 year window, my guess is winter of 2011-2012 you will hear news of it. Thats why Erik Buell is being kept on as a consultant. Just my opinion.
That is true... sales are down. But they are still flying off the showroom. Even in shit hole detroit area. Which if you ask me is hit the hardest in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
mmm- I'm sensing you don't like me much

You are the exception. None of the HD people around here have ever looked at a sportbike, forget riding one. I would and have said it to them- what are they gonna do?
That's not it. I just don't like to see you make harsh comments based off a narrow POV. Not too mention you just saw me 2 weeks ago on my HD. And trust me... I wouldn't have a problem keeping up. They aren't old tech, slow, dumb bikes. I would have liked to see even your bike keep up with me on my trip home. Old tech? I bet you I have more new tech on my HD than you think.

Quote:
A friend of mine bought 3 1125s and an xb12 today for 18k out the door, paid in full. he thinks he can hold them over the winter and sell them for a profit in the spring.
And he will make a profit on that. If I had the cash I would do the same thing.

And similar link here on the take over
http://m.passionperformance.ca/motor...articles/5900/

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product

Last edited by Gas Man; 10-19-2009 at 09:37 PM..
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #185
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

We only register bikes sold in TN at the owner's request. You can only register a bike for street use once the applicable sales taxes are paid.

We sell bikes to folks out of state all the time with them leaving with just the temp tags. They are responsible for registering and tagging the bike in their home state.

We don't collect sales taxes at point of sale.

We had a guy who was looking at a bike for track use. We were going to sell it to him with a temp tag. He wasn't planning on registering it for street use, so he wasn't planning on paying sales taxes on it.

We didn't care one way or the other.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #186
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
We only register bikes sold in TN at the owner's request. You can only register a bike for street use once the applicable sales taxes are paid.

We sell bikes to folks out of state all the time with them leaving with just the temp tags. They are responsible for registering and tagging the bike in their home state.

We had a guy who was looking at a bike for track use. We were going to sell it to him with a temp tag. He wasn't planning on registering it for street use, so he wasn't planning on paying sales taxes on it.

Just talked to him, he negotiated a total all included price, hes not sure if he paid tax, but hes gonna call and find out tomorrow, anyway, now he says hes gonna keep one of the 1125s, and he put one on craigslist as a feeler.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #187
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:

But isn't the government supposed to get sales tax no matter if it's going to be a track bike or a street bike? After all, it's called sales tax, not street tax.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #188
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Quote:
But isn't the government supposed to get sales tax no matter if it's going to be a track bike or a street bike? After all, it's called sales tax, not street tax.

Theoretically, yes. We, as the dealership, are not responsible for collection of taxes for states outside of TN.

It's why we usually (nearly always) collect taxes for sales in TN.

The buyer is responsible for the payment of the taxes in their state.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #189
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Theoretically, yes. We, as the dealership, are not responsible for collection of taxes for states outside of TN.

It's why we usually (nearly always) collect taxes for sales in TN.

The buyer is responsible for the payment of the taxes in their state.
Talked to him again, he starting to think that he might have to pay sales tax on them before he sells them. They gave him the temp tags, a bill of sale/reciept, and a stack of papers, and they are supposed to send him the titles next week. I think he paid sales tax because you would have to pay it to get the title put in his name right? He's scared that he didnt which woudl raise the price over $1k
Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #190
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
That's not it. I just don't like to see you make harsh comments based off a narrow POV.

Quote:
I bought it cause out there in that class, other than Gaywings there is nothing that compares.
So it's ok for you to have a narrow point of a bike, but if we do it to your precious HDs, it's time to lay down the law? Don't bash, if you can't take the bashing yourself. Rider equality, I would take the goldwing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote