Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #161
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Just for the record...I actually LIKE the Buell 1125R although I've never ridden one...but I will.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #162
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Just for the record...I actually LIKE the Buell 1125R although I've never ridden one...but I will.
I like the concept and have been stating for years that Buell wouldn't ever get anywhere with the "sport bike community" until they adapted another engine other than Harley. Now if they would just please hire a different designer.... They are getting better and I'm getting older so eventually we'll cross paths.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #163
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Now if they would just please hire a different designer....

How about maybe they didn't want a race engine, and wanted a streetbike engine?
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #164
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post

Word on the street is that Buell is one of the better handling bikes on the road. I'd have to imagine racing was on their minds when designing the bike chassis. Why make a bike so track capable if it was never meant to be tracked? And if that's the case why throw an air cooled HD motor in it? Seems like they had an engine group and a chassis group and neither of them met to discuss bike capabilities.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #165
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Word on the street is that Buell is one of the better handling bikes on the road. I'd have to imagine racing was on their minds when designing the bike chassis. Why make a bike so track capable if it was never meant to be tracked? And if that's the case why throw an air cooled HD motor in it? Seems like they had an engine group and a chassis group and neither of them met to discuss bike capabilities.
No, it was designed as a streetbike, which is why it has a belt drive, and while the older ones have an air-cooled engine, the 1125 has a water cooled Rotax for an engine.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #166
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
No, it was designed as a streetbike, which is why it has a belt drive, and while the older ones have an air-cooled engine, the 1125 has a water cooled Rotax for an engine.
Yeah but they are no more powerful than a 599cc I-4

My insurance company bases it's rates strictly on engine size. Why in the world would I pay higher insurance premiums than I would on an R1 but only benefit from the power of an R6?

I know Buell doesn't give 2 shits about what insurance companies base their premiums upon, but I'd have to imagine that it would affect their overall sales. Which is why If I was Buell Id figure out how to make a 1125R more competitive with a liter bike instead of a 600. 600 riders might have been their intended market, I don't know but you know as well as I do, Americans are obsessed with size. If your going to spend the money on a bike with 1125cc's you should get liter bike performance out of it. Just my thoughts on it.

Again I have nothing against Buell personally. Everything I've heard they are great bikes. As a matter of fact I've never heard a Buell owner complain about them.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #167
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i rode the 1125 and the 1125 cr, both were capable bikes, but my rc just felt faster, even if it was down on hp it still felt like a faster, quicker bike

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #168
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Dude, un-ruffle your feathers, JESUS! I'm talking about the way it looks. Am I now not allowed to have my own view about what is aesthetically pleasing? I don't like the looks at all. It is just my opinion but since it will be MY fucking money buying my next bike, you'll excuse me if I weigh my opinion a bit more heavily than yours.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #169
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Not only that but his lame ass excuses for Buell are getting on my nerves! Erik Buell came from racing AND stated at the beginning that he was designing a race-type bike. He somehow got entangled with HD and the PR guys started this "designed for the street" type ad speak. Erik Buell always dreamed of going racing from what I've always read.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #170
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yeah but they are no more powerful than a 599cc I-4

My insurance company bases it's rates strictly on engine size. Why in the world would I pay higher insurance premiums than I would on an R1 but only benefit from the power of an R6?

I know Buell doesn't give 2 shits about what insurance companies base their premiums upon, but I'd have to imagine that it would affect their overall sales. Which is why If I was Buell Id figure out how to make a 1125R more competitive with a liter bike instead of a 600. 600 riders might have been their intended market, I don't know but you know as well as I do, Americans are obsessed with size. If your going to spend the money on a bike with 1125cc's you should get liter bike performance out of it. Just my thoughts on it.

Again I have nothing against Buell personally. Everything I've heard they are great bikes. As a matter of fact I've never heard a Buell owner complain about them.
Very good points but you very rarely hear any "boutique bike" owner complain about their machine. I don't know what some of you are talking about but I rode several of the first generation Buells and I'm here to tell you that they were not good. They were using the old HD 1200 motor at the time and the vibration was horrid. They had oil issues, electronic issues, parts literally falling off. Yet to the Buell faithful, they were wonderful machines. The same can be said about Triumphs, Big Dogs, etc. Quite frankly, ownership of a lot of these brands is an emotional decision and facts, figures or even reality itself will not deter the faithful.

Besides, they were hyping the shit out of this new bike before it was released as "competition for the big four" and now that it's here and we expect "competitiveness", all I'm hearing are excuses. This reminds me of when the BMW "Hypersport" came out as a "Hayabusa Killer" only to fall far short of any hope of beating the 'Busa performance wise. Of course afterward it was designed as a "sport tourer" and was never meant to compete against the ZX-14 or 'Busa ...