WTF is a garage 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #121
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You don't need a motorcycle or sportscars and yet people have them.... Kids having cars to get places such as work in some areas is much more a need than the toys we buy. You are straying for the topic. Which is too many cars for the garage.

If you have a large family in areas that don't have public trans (which is a lot of america outside the large cities, we have terrible public trans here) that has different schedules and the need for each to have their own vehicle is great, than yes, a middle class family is not going to have enough garage space to fit all their vehicles because lets face it a true middle class family is not going to be able to afford a 4-5 car garage home that wasn't custom built to be a small home with a huge garage..
All true.......But you have to admit that cars parked not only in the driveway but out on the street make a neigborhood look lame. One or two NICE cars in the driveway look good........but beyond that............After all, if your family has 4-5 cars it's likely at least one of them is going to be on the street. And this affects property values, if potential home shoppers visit the area and then reject it for appearance reasons. Especially if some of those cars happen to be old and junky, as most teenager's cars are.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #122
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
All true.......But you have to admit that cars parked not only in the driveway but out on the street make a neigborhood look lame. After all, if your family has 4-5 cars it's likely at least one of them is going to be on the street. And this affects property values, if potential home shoppers visit the area and then reject it for appearance reasons. Especially if some of those cars happen to be old and junky, as most teenager's cars are.
My family at one point had 4-5 cars for a home that had a 2 car garage because that's all we could afford in the area we lived in, normal 3 car garage homes ran $100k more than what we could afford. I wouldn't even want to start trying to look for a 4 car garage home. No I do not think it looks 'lame.' To me it looked like a family making do with what they had to work with. It would be a shame if you ended up in the same position and had to face this reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #123
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
ok, we were talking about kids not really needing cars togo to school, so do these areas have buses for kids to goto school.

we live out far enough that we don't have public trans. and we like it that way.........it'll soon be out here though.
Yes, My son ride a bus to school, but he has early release, so we pick him up, probably close to 14-15 miles round trip. His one job was a 10 mile rt, which wasn't bad when I had to pick him up at midnight/1:00am, his other job was almost a 40m rt, which did suck at 1:30am when I had to pick him up. He doesn't have his licenses yet, but when he does, he has to get something to drive his ass to work in.

That'll give us 6 cars in the garage/driveway...

Last edited by Rsv1000R; 04-28-2009 at 10:36 AM..
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #124
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
ok, we were talking about kids not really needing cars togo to school, so do these areas have buses for kids.

we live out far enough that we don't have publix trans. and we like it that way.........it'll soon be out here though.
It depends on the school I would think. As a child in Texas I lived several miles from school but was considered "too close" to ride the bus. I worked full time as well in high school and needed a car to get to school and work on time, there was no transportation and I lived in a very populated area. Here, it depends on which school and where you live. There is no high school in the the ritzy touristy areas, so they have to be bused in or drive themselves, buses are very limited and public transportation couldnt get them to school either as there are no routes.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #125
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

LOL, house 2 down and across the street. 2 car garage, lex GX470, new Mercedes E350, camry, & corolla. 2 teen drivers they share the corolla....

merc is sunday church car
lex dad drives
camry mom drives
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #126
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
My family at one point had 4-5 cars for a home that had a 2 car garage because that's all we could afford in the area we lived in, normal 3 car garage homes ran $100k more than what we could afford. I wouldn't even want to start trying to look for a 4 car garage home. No I do not think it looks 'lame.' To me it looked like a family making do with what they had to work with. It would be a shame if you ended up in the same position and had to face this reality.
I am just saying, this is why a HOA does what it does. Property values. Now if those cars were Lexus and BMW then I doubt the HOA would say anything. But old beat-up cars affect a neighborhood's perceived desireability.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #127
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
ok, we were talking about kids not really needing cars togo to school, so do these areas have buses for kids to goto school.

we live out far enough that we don't have public trans. and we like it that way.........it'll soon be out here though.
School buses are actually getting slim in my area, I don't know if they are doing this anywhere else, anyone else hear of this? In my area they have been slowly lengthning the distance from the school you have to live to have access to the school bus to save on budget because of gas prices. It use to be a mile. I think it is up to 2-3 miles. I am sorry, but 2-3 miles for a lot of kids isn't doable on a bike, much less walking it back a forth every day. Plus the potential for kids to get hit on some of these roads to get to school is ridiculous. Their isn't sidewalks and crossing guards on most of these roads.

A lot of parents both work now, so dropping off and picking up is a big issue.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #128
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
LOL, house 2 down and across the street. 2 car garage, lex GX470, new Mercedes E350, camry, & corolla. 2 teen drivers they share the corolla....

merc is sunday church car
lex dad drives
camry mom drives
Do they store one in the garage?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #129
shmike
Follower

Quote:
I am just saying, this is why a HOA does what it does. Property values. Now if those cars were Lexus and BMW then I doubt the HOA would say anything. But old beat-up cars affect a neighborhood's perceived desireability.
Maybe I missed it but the debate was over the cars being parked in the driveway vs. garage.

HOA's can say no work vehicles, no trucks, no vans, etc.

If an HOA tried to tell me that it was not OK to park a licensed, insured daily driver in my driveway because it wasn't German or wasn't new enough, I'd laugh at them all the way to court.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #130
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
If you want to live in a HOA that is big bucks and the home is big bucks, I can see that. If a budget neighborhood HOA starts trying that shit, that's when it's fucked up.

I wonder what the people who are for these super strict rules would say if their big budget HOA they already live in tried to say no motorcycles at all.
Quote: