Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #91
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Last

Ella Fitzgerald also sang it. Damned well.
Whoa whoa whoa.

Trip you keep going on about people not writing their on song and how they are sell outs.

""At Last" is a 1941 song written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren for the musical film Orchestra Wives,"

Etta did write the song, and she wasn't the first to sing it. You said she made it popular. Does that make it pop? But Beyoncé is now making it popular today. So does that mean that she now OWNS it?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #92
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

so wait... does Ella own the song or not? if not... there's no reason for Beyonce to call her... I mean just because an artest remade the song... doesn't mean you have to call every person who's ever done it to get permission... just the person with the rights to it.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #93
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Having tossed a hand grenade into the room, I will now quietly back out and close the door behind me.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #94
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
so wait... does Ella own the song or not? if not... there's no reason for Beyonce to call her... I mean just because an artest remade the song... doesn't mean you have to call every person who's ever done it to get permission... just the person with the rights to it.
And thus I reiterate my point about professional courtesy being a dead concept. *sigh* This is retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Having tossed a hand grenade into the room, I will now quietly back out and close the door behind me.
GOOD JOB!!

and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #95
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
And thus I reiterate my point about professional courtesy being a dead concept. *sigh* This is retarded.
but my point is where does it stop... say if I wanted to record White Christmas... would I have to contact every person that recorded it and sold tons of copies to be considered "professionally courteous"?

how about the song I will always love you? would I have to check with Whitney to perform it? or Dolly Parton? Dolly wrote it... and sold a lot of records because of it. Whitney brought it to the rest of the (non country) world... so who "owns" it? who do I be "professionally courteous" to?

I understand your point... that you should ask permission even if you don't need it... but I'm just asking where you draw the line... ya know?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #96
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
but my point is where does it stop... say if I wanted to record White Christmas... would I have to contact every person that recorded it and sold tons of copies to be considered "professionally courteous"?

how about the song I will always love you? would I have to check with Whitney to perform it? or Dolly Parton? Dolly wrote it... and sold a lot of records because of it. Whitney brought it to the rest of the (non country) world... so who "owns" it? who do I be "professionally courteous" to?

I understand your point... that you should ask permission even if you don't need it... but I'm just asking where you draw the line... ya know?
The only reason I bring it up in this instance, as I stated before, is because they did work closely together, and there was a relationship due to the movie work.

If you had done a movie portraying Bing Crosby and had worked with him, to get your performance down pat as Bing Crosby, theres a relationship there.

And if you were to go do some big thing using the song he helped make famous, and helped you to learn to perform as he did, then yes, with a relationship there, it would be courteous to contact him.

Now, if you didnt know him from adam, and were performing the song to the general public then no, it wouldnt matter. The point is, B failed to provide a courtesy to Etta.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #97
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I will provide a courtesy...Lock this thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cryingkoreanswz0.jpg (29.5 KB, 20 views)

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #98
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I will provide a courtesy...Lock this thread!
Awesome pic...right click save!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #99
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
The only reason I bring it up in this instance, as I stated before, is because they did work closely together, and there was a relationship due to the movie work.

If you had done a movie portraying Bing Crosby and had worked with him, to get your performance down pat as Bing Crosby, theres a relationship there.

And if you were to go do some big thing using the song he helped make famous, and helped you to learn to perform as he did, then yes, with a relationship there, it would be courteous to contact him.

Now, if you didnt know him from adam, and were performing the song to the general public then no, it wouldnt matter. The point is, B failed to provide a courtesy to Etta.

BUT she did work with Etta for the movie right? And any needed permission would have been done FOR the movie. Am I right here? And in making a movie a sound track is made. Singles from the sound track will be used as advertising. Sooooo Etta should have known damn well that she would be performing this song more then once. This she should know unless she is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

And ebbs is right. You can't contact everyone. Damn for some songs the first to sing is are long gone. So really they only need to contact the legal owner of the song. But in this case because of the movie Etta was contacted.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #100
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Here is the beautiful thing. The people in this thread that don't like Beyoncé can keep doing that and its fine. Thats the beautiful thing about living in North America. Your free to choose. Some people only like one type of music. Then some people like Ebbs like everything over the course of a month or so. :LOL:

James