Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #91
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Maybe an extra day or so.

Papa,

I understand your frustration and I know it feels like "they" use any excuse to raise prices but the inverse doesn't seem to happen.

The numbers tell us otherwise. Look at goof's chart.

In my own experience, we were paying over $4/gal back in '08 and it was down into the low $2's last year. The increases/decreases may not be on a 1:1 ratio but the timing stays pretty true.
I don't totally trust that chart as I'm not familiar with the source. The U.S. Dept. of Energy though tracks average national gas prices weekly. According to them the average price for the U.S. was at $4.11 per gallon in the middle of July 2008. By the end of December 2008 it was back down to $1.61 per gallon. It went back up to the $2.50 range by the middle of 2009 and stayed there until this stuff started. Comparing that data to the chart shows they match up pretty well.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #92
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I don't totally trust that chart as I'm not familiar with the source. The U.S. Dept. of Energy though tracks average national gas prices weekly. According to them the average price for the U.S. was at $4.11 per gallon in the middle of July 2008. By the end of December 2008 it was back down to $1.61 per gallon. It went back up to the $2.50 range by the middle of 2009 and stayed there until this stuff started. Comparing that data to the chart shows they match up pretty well.
Yep.

I'm not touting your chart as the gospel of oil & gas prices but it matches the price fluctuations we have seen here pretty much exactly.

The reality is:
Crude prices up = pump prices up
Crude prices down = pump prices down
Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #93
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Maybe an extra day or so.

Papa,

I understand your frustration and I know it feels like "they" use any excuse to raise prices but the inverse doesn't seem to happen.

The numbers tell us otherwise. Look at goof's chart.

In my own experience, we were paying over $4/gal back in '08 and it was down into the low $2's last year. The increases/decreases may not be on a 1:1 ratio but the timing stays pretty true.
In the Toronto area we're talking WEEKS, if ever, that the price rebounds down and when it does, it never goes back to the level that the crude price would justify.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #94
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Easy to say writing from a place like Jersey that's already been raped and pillaged. Let's put an entire ecosystem in jeopardy so you don't have to trade in your Dodge Ram...

The environment is more important than oil supply, period. The focus should be on alternate sources of energy; otherwise we'll just keep digging until the oil actually runs out, we'll have damaged huge sections of wilderness in the process, and we'll end up in the very same predicament we're facing now: oil demand outpacing available supply and scrambling to find an alternate energy source. Ruining the land doesn't just affect the migration of some herd of caribou; it changes the weather, it alters local economies, it pollutes the air/water/soil, etc.

You're lost in Candy Land if you think more drilling in the states would reduce gas prices to a dollar a gallon.
Drilling where we currently ARE Allowed to seems to be working out great. Def not jeopardiizing our current ecosystems at all

I'm not in "candy land" I realize the implications behind it. Its my opinion. I've made it apparent Im an advocate of alternate energys...but the desire/need for gas will at least in my lifetime NEVER go away.

We were supposed to be in flying cars by now...You see how well that worked out.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #95
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Easy to say writing from a place like Jersey that's already been raped and pillaged. Let's put an entire ecosystem in jeopardy so you don't have to trade in your Dodge Ram...

The environment is more important than oil supply, period. The focus should be on alternate sources of energy; otherwise we'll just keep digging until the oil actually runs out, we'll have damaged huge sections of wilderness in the process, and we'll end up in the very same predicament we're facing now: oil demand outpacing available supply and scrambling to find an alternate energy source. Ruining the land doesn't just affect the migration of some herd of caribou; it changes the weather, it alters local economies, it pollutes the air/water/soil, etc.

You're lost in Candy Land if you think more drilling in the states would reduce gas prices to a dollar a gallon.
Why can't we do both? I'm all for research in to alternative sources of energy, but it isn't like with people off working on that there isn't anyone left to rape and pillage the ANWR. While we are at it we should have another group throwing up nuclear power plants too. Either way you are right there in Candy Land too if you think we aren't going to need tens of millions of barrels of oil every day anytime soon.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #96
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, it's not cool to shoot unarmed people, just because they think you're an asshole.

On the other hand, this is the same country that threw a party for the Lockerbie Bomber after his release from a Scottish prison, so...

Fuck 'em.

JC
Oh, so completely and totally this.