Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #91
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

Kinda think you do. :-( I've seen pics of them in stream beds, etc.

Found a baby mocassin in the pool skimmer one morning. I reached in to grab the basket and he was stretched out in one of the grooves. Little pointy head pops out. He drops down, swims out in the pool, and just hangs there, watching us. Fished him out, and from under the net, he raises up to strike. Hubby asks, " Are you sure he's a mocasssin? What do you want me to do w/him?" I'm like, "DUH -- Kill him!!!"
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #92
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I've actually been told babies are significantly worse as adults will stop injecting venom and use only whats needed whereas babies blow their whole load so to speak...

Funny you mention the copperheads, my hubby told me last night the copperheads he's familiar with behave just like cottonmouths, including being in the water whereas the copperheads I grew up with in Texas were never in or near the water. *sigh* Do I have to tell him he's right?
Think so, I caught one in a stream upstate and he was just chillin in the water. I have heard mixed things about copperheads. Most say they are kinda timid, I was actualy holding the one I caught freehand it it didnt bite, didnt realize what it was untill a fisherman yelled at me. But then I have heard that they can be much more agressive along the lines of the cottonmouths.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #93
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Think so, I caught one in a stream upstate and he was just chillin in the water. I have heard mixed things about copperheads. Most say they are kinda timid, I was actualy holding the one I caught freehand it it didnt bite, didnt realize what it was untill a fisherman yelled at me. But then I have heard that they can be much more agressive along the lines of the cottonmouths.

Yeah, thats what hubby was telling me. I know moccasins, which apparently copperheads are a member of the same species, will literally chase a person and continue to attack, especially during mating season!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #94
MILK
The cows want you dead.

So far we havn't run into a really aggressive copperhead. *knocks wood* The one we caught last year didn't get upset until we put him in a storage container. Then he was pissed! Even then he only struck a few times though.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #95
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yeah, thats what hubby was telling me. I know moccasins, which apparently copperheads are a member of the same species, will literally chase a person and continue to attack, especially during mating season!
never heard that about the cottonmouth, I do know they are quite agressive. I have heard of mambas chasing people down and a friends monacled cobra came after us while tryin gto snap some pics of it. That was prolly quite comical to watch as we all ran for cover

Tom
Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #96
the chi
Forum Coach

Funnily enough, as much "flack" as I catch for being so "buddhist" minded, I have never once had a bad encounter *knocks on wood* with any animal. All the snakes I have come across observe me as I observe them, and other than a wolf spider or 3, I've never had an animal come after me at all. My hubby on the other hand is like a damn magnet, before we saw the rattler last night I told him he must have some type of attractant to dangerous animals, since he has so many stories of his run ins. Sure nuff, we found one!!

I found a 6 foot rattler on the road once. I stopped my car to check him out, hopped out with my camera, walked up behind him, he just stopped and laid there. It wasnt till my ex got out of the car screaming and jumping up and down that he even moved to bring his head off the ground.

(Yes I know they strike, I know they can do it without warning, and I KNOW they can basically launch themselves off the ground, I never said I was SMART animal lover.)
Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #97
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
So far we havn't run into a really aggressive copperhead. *knocks wood* The one we caught last year didn't get upset until we put him in a storage container. Then he was pissed! Even then he only struck a few times though.
Oh, well if he only tried to kill you by shooting poison out of his teeth a few times, I guess that's not so bad...

I now have this mental picture of you running around your yard, trying to herd snakes into Tupperware.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're nuts lady.

JC
Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #98
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Funnily enough, as much "flack" as I catch for being so "buddhist" minded, I have never once had a bad encounter *knocks on wood* with any animal. All the snakes I have come across observe me as I observe them, and other than a wolf spider or 3, I've never had an animal come after me at all. My hubby on the other hand is like a damn magnet, before we saw the rattler last night I told him he must have some type of attractant to dangerous animals, since he has so many stories of his run ins. Sure nuff, we found one!!

I found a 6 foot rattler on the road once. I stopped my car to check him out, hopped out with my camera, walked up behind him, he just stopped and laid there. It wasnt till my ex got out of the car screaming and jumping up and down that he even moved to bring his head off the ground.

(Yes I know they strike, I know they can do it without warning, and I KNOW they can basically launch themselves off the ground, I never said I was SMART animal lover.)

Rattlers tend to strike low so if you keep your feet back and peer over him theres less of a chance of getting nailed. I assume curb will agree but after being bitten enough times yo ucan kind of figure out how to keep positioned to avoid getting bit.

Tom
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #99
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Rattlers tend to strike low so if you keep your feet back and peer over him theres less of a chance of getting nailed. I assume curb will agree but after being bitten enough times yo ucan kind of figure out how to keep positioned to avoid getting bit.

Tom
Fascinating, thank for the info!
Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #100
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Oh, well if he only tried to kill you by shooting poison out of his teeth a few times, I guess that's not so bad...

I now have this mental picture of you running around your yard, trying to herd snakes into Tupperware.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're nuts lady.

JC
Actually my husband has the Tupperware. I run around the yard banging a spoon against a saucepan yelling, "OK..LA..HOMA, OKLAHOMA OKLAHOMA, OKLAHOMA!!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote