Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #91
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You need to learn to read, Tigger....

I said a quality stereo will make a difference over a budget stereo. I agreed with you on that. There is a lot of difference in components there. That's why I said comparing a cobalt and corvette doesn't apply to this situation since we are talking cables and not the components themselves.

Where I disagreed is cables. Ohhhhhhh, you installed shit. I bet you feel all proud of yourself. I have tested cables both in educational settings like an electronics lab in a University using high end equipment and as a career using industry leading equipment to check for quality. I also do it in my spare time within my hobbies such as the christmas lights, since I have to run long stretches of cable that are dependent on a good signal given the quick light sequences I have. So, no I don't understand how to check for quality within a cable and it's connectors. My theoritical knowledge and real world application, just doesn't add up to your ear and opinion when it comes to wire/cable quality. Sorry...

No I didn't see the other post for some reason.... FWIW my debate isn't just with you sunshine! I quoted you after you refered to me as a "douchenozzle" but prior to that, I was having this argument with others... The bottom line is that some of you drink high dollar micro brewery beer when Milwaukee's Best would do the job and I choose to use high end cables to connect my very high end components and speakers. I know a couple guys will would happily argue with you for hours that a V-Strom is just as good as you BMW and that you are a sucker for buying it.

Oh and I guess that you need to learn how to read as well, because I also have experience in this field and although I've never worked in a lab or done tests in a classroom. I have done my own tests using an spl meter in a sound room. I'm not relying on "opinion", I was hooking up car stereos and selling VCRs when you were still suckling at your mother tit!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #92
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
No it's not, I have found in some cases a generic cable is better than it's monster or high end cable equivalent. We are talking differences that may not even be audible to the human ear. People like to trick themselves into thinking that since they paid more for something it is better than a cheaper equivalent. That is not always true. Cables are a good place to look at that.

However, I did preach that same stupid shit about monster cables when I worked at Best Buy. Not because I believed it, but because I wanted a bonus.

BTW, I liked my cables over store bought ones any day during the analog times. I controlled the solder and connection quality and buying straight up good quality wire was cheaper. With digital it's not worth the hassle with all the little pins and how the signal is passed.

See but you're the one that isn't reading everything I've said. Number one, I never came out "pro-Monster cable". You keep bringing that brand up like I'm their spokesman or something.... The only thing that I have that's monster is my speaker cables. Most of my cables are made by Transparent and some are Audiosource. I use Mediabridge for the digital stuff because I also believe that there isn't and difference when it comes to digital signal. Shit Dude, Monster cable IS mid to low range cable where I'm coming from! The cable that connects my pre-amp to my amp was about $500!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #93
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
No I didn't see the other post for some reason.... FWIW my debate isn't just with you sunshine! I quoted you after you refered to me as a "douchenozzle" but prior to that, I was having this argument with others... The bottom line is that some of you drink high dollar micro brewery beer when Milwaukee's Best would do the job and I choose to use high end cables to connect my very high end components and speakers. I know a couple guys will would happily argue with you for hours that a V-Strom is just as good as you BMW and that you are a sucker for buying it.

Oh and I guess that you need to learn how to read as well, because I also room. I'm not relying on "opinion", I was hooking up car stereos and selling have experience in this field and although I've never worked in a lab or done tests in a classroom. I have done my own tests using an spl meter in a soundVCRs when you were still suckling at your mother tit!
I won't argue that a v-strom could be just as good of a motorcycle. That's not the same argument as cables. That's more like comparing stereo equipment again. You keep going back to that, there is far more difference in those topics than a piece of wire. Just as there is far more difference in beer you referred too.

SPL meter is very basic and will only get you so far because you take into account everything and not just the wire/connectors. Far more a difference into such a test. I have tested frequency/resistance/capacitance/inductance/harmonic/voltage/amperage to name a few on just cabling by itself to see it's true nature. You are an installer, not an engineer. No matter how long you do it, your experience will only get you so far without the education and knowledge to do functional evaluations.

Quote:
See but you're the one that isn't reading everything I've said. Number one, I never came out "pro-Monster cable". You keep bringing that brand up like I'm their spokesman or something.... The only thing that I have that's monster is my speaker cables. Most of my cables are made by Transparent and some are Audiosource. I use Mediabridge for the digital stuff because I also believe that there isn't and difference when it comes to digital signal. Shit Dude, Monster cable IS mid to low range cable where I'm coming from! The cable that connects my pre-amp to my amp was about $500!
I wouldn't admit to spending that much for a cable. LOL That's even worse. I use monster cable as an example, because it is best known for overcharging for lackluster performance.

Again I have no problem with high end cables you intend to run long distance, it's for the short distances that are typical that I make fun of for spending that kind of money on a wire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #94
Rider
Moto GP Star

Hey nick, when running speaker wire does solid wire perform better than twisted wire? Say something like 12AWG wire. I'm using twisted 12AWG speaker wire to all of my speakers in the house.... and yes its the white, flat Monster Cable. Some of my speaker runs are more than 25ft. I can't change it now because most of the wore is buried in the walls, but just wondering what performs better so I can switch the wires that I have access to if I need to.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #95
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Hey nick, when running speaker wire does solid wire perform better than twisted wire? Say something like 12AWG wire. I'm using twisted 12AWG speaker wire to all of my speakers in the house.... and yes its the white, flat Monster Cable. Some of my speaker runs are more than 25ft. I can't change it now because most of the wore is buried in the walls, but just wondering what performs better so I can switch the wires that I have access to if I need to.
It really more depends on the copper itself, pluses and minuses to both really.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 12-04-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #96
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
It really more depends on the copper itself, pluses and minuses to both really.
That helps. I'll just leave it be then since it sounds fine right now.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #97
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
I've done side by side comparisons with my own hands and judging with my own ears.
Now try an independant, blind test and tell us your results.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #98
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
That helps. I'll just leave it be then since it sounds fine right now.
Well, you get people who argue for both, it's like the oil debate for motorcycles. Good copper can be far more effective in either type.
Quote:
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #99
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

jesus christ put your dicks away. Both of ya
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #100
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
jesus christ put your dicks away. Both of ya
but I have Redtube going in the other window....