Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post

So, Derf, how DO you know what elves with steel condoms sound like, HMMMMM? Sounds like a story to me......
Yeh I was helping a friend rebuild his engine a while back and I came along at the point where he was hooking everything back up and helped start it up for the first time. The engine started up with no problem but after 30 seconds made the worst crunching sound I had ever heard come from a motor. His words to me were that it sounded like elves with steel condoms screwing his motor. He started unplugging stuff frantically until it turned off then we spent the next few hours dissmantling the engine. Turns out (we think) he either had a bad bolt, didnt tourque it or left it all togetheroff one of the con rods and it let go, sending the piston into the head then down into the crank where it was churned up and destroyed the crank and 2 other cylinders.

Basically the guy spent a few grand to build a race motor just to watch it grenade itself on a test. The dry ducati clutches always remind me of a quiter gentler version of that sound.