Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Librarian
Helmets Optional

Moto: '85 K100 and a DL650AK9
Default Helmet laws and .... pumpkins?

Nigerian Helmet Laws

What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
-- Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Moto: Tards

skid lids
xx CURVE xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Access denied, maybe post some text?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
xx CURVE xx
SMELL MY LEVER

Moto: Tards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Access denied, maybe post some text?
Nigeria bikers' vegetable helmets

Motorcyclists in Nigeria have been wearing dried pumpkin shells on their heads to dodge new laws forcing them to wear helmets, authorities have said.

Officials in the northern city of Kano said they had stopped several people with "improvised helmets", following this month's introduction of the law.

Road safety officials said calabash-wearers would be prosecuted.

Thousands of motorbikes have been impounded around the country and drivers have staged protests.

Calabashes are dried pumpkin shells more commonly used to carry liquid.

Kano Federal Road Safety Commission commander Yusuf Garba told the BBC they were taking a hard line with people found using the improvised helmets.

"We are impounding their bikes and want to take them to court so they can explain why they think wearing a calabash is good enough for their safety," he said.

Fifty motorbikes had been seized so far in Kano city alone, he added.

Menace

Motorcycle taxis, called "achaba" in the north of the country and "okada" in the south, are a cheap way for Nigerians to get around congested and chaotic city streets.

MOTORBIKE TAXIS
Achaba comes from a Hausa phrase for "give me some money"
Okada is from name of ex-state governor's now defunct airline
Okada bike taxis were banned from the capital Abuja in 2006
The motorbikes cost around $290 (£200)
Passengers pay about 70 naira ($0.50; £0.35) for a short trip

Many drivers of the motorcycle taxis are furious over the new law, which came into force on New Year's Day.

In the city of Kaduna, drivers waved palm fronds and rode in convoy to protest at the price of helmets, which can cost up to $29 (£20).

They say passengers often steal the helmets once they reach their destination.

Stories have also appeared in the local papers highlighting passengers' fears that the helmets could be used by motorcyclists to cast spells on their clients, making it easy for them to be robbed.

"Some people can put juju inside the helmets and when they are worn the victim can either lose consciousness or be struck dumb," passenger Kolawole Aremu told the Daily Trust newspaper.

Local government authorities often give motorbikes to jobless young men, saying it gives them a way to make a living.

But the BBC's Andrew Walker in Abuja says handing out the vehicles does not address the underlying cause of Nigeria's economic problems.

It is often an attempt to buy support for elections, our correspondent says.

The number of motorcycle taxis in big cities has exploded in recent years, causing concern about road safety.

Often untrained and illiterate, the drivers are considered a menace by many motorists.

Fatal accidents are common. Road safety authorities say almost every collision in Nigeria's cities involves an okada.

More than 4,000 people die on Nigeria's roads every year and 20,000 are injured, according to the Federal Road Safety Commission.
xx CURVE xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Amorok
Issukangitok

Quote:
They say passengers often steal the helmets once they reach their destination.

Stories have also appeared in the local papers highlighting passengers' fears that the helmets could be used by motorcyclists to cast spells on their clients, making it easy for them to be robbed.

"Some people can put juju inside the helmets and when they are worn the victim can either lose consciousness or be struck dumb," passenger Kolawole Aremu told the Daily Trust newspaper.
Bwahahaha!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
I would recommend against helmet laws then... that's a gene pool that could use a butt load of chlorine.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
Amorok
Issukangitok

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it could have a basis in fact. It's been established that "zombies" are actually people fed a cocktail of neurotoxins, herbal inhibbitors and other drugs that render them comatose to the point of being indistinguishable from dead, then docile and easily commanded when revived. Juju powders and herbal medicines often have naturally occuring chemicals that wreak havoc on the body providing a scientific basis for some majiks and curses, so a helmet could be used to deliver a powdered or aresoled chemical designed to alter someone. But I doubt they're intelligent enough to phrase it that was. What they should be worried about is putting on a helmet laced with chloroform, ether or some other anasthetic and ridden off to be sold into slavery or to black market organ vendors. And that could be done with a cabbage or pumpkin or whatever.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but it could have a basis in fact. It's been established that "zombies" are actually people fed a cocktail of neurotoxins, herbal inhibbitors and other drugs that render them comatose to the point of being indistinguishable from dead, then docile and easily commanded when revived. Juju powders and herbal medicines often have naturally occuring chemicals that wreak havoc on the body providing a scientific basis for some majiks and curses, so a helmet could be used to deliver a powdered or aresoled chemical designed to alter someone. But I doubt they're intelligent enough to phrase it that was. What they should be worried about is putting on a helmet laced with chloroform, ether or some other anasthetic and ridden off to be sold into slavery or to black market organ vendors. And that could be done with a cabbage or pumpkin or whatever.
You just took the fun out of it. 1000 years bad juju!
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote