Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I think fred and a few others realy went after the vs guy so they were the only ones who got banned. They realy screwed rez though. From what I had heard a year or 2 before the accident they offered him a lot of money and he turned it down. Then after the accident they came back with a real low ball offer because they knew he was in a bad situation. Thats what made this whole thing even worse IMO.
That's the real piss off. It's all business to them, but the people they are preying upon are generally enthusiasts. Rez put heart and soul into the board, and his business. It hurt to walk, because it felt like walking out of he and Lorilye, but having seen it before I couldn't do anything else.

Quote:
Funny tthing is a bunch of us still use the NY forum to organize rides and events. Outside of myself and one or 2 others most of them never ventured outside the NY forum so they kinda mised all the drama.
I've dropped by a few times, in the last year, and it looks like a ghost town in what were previously the two most active sub-forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
That was my first thought.

I can't believe that that is still a viable business.
Like I said above, it's all business to them. If they weren't making money, they wouldn't do it. Verticalscope is all about targeted advertising. That's why the ads will always be there. Maybe they let you turn them off, but they still get you. If nothing else you're generating board traffic, that lets set prices based on hits.

Look at their website's brag sheet and it'll explain it all to you.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
I think fred and a few others realy went after the vs guy so they were the only ones who got banned. They realy screwed rez though. From what I had heard a year or 2 before the accident they offered him a lot of money and he turned it down. Then after the accident they came back with a real low ball offer because they knew he was in a bad situation. Thats what made this whole thing even worse IMO.

Funny tthing is a bunch of us still use the NY forum to organize rides and events. Outside of myself and one or 2 others most of them never ventured outside the NY forum so they kinda mised all the drama.
Yep, ip banned for life, I have since changed my ip, but my names are banned across every VS board that I was registered on. There were a few other derf's that got banned from other forums too after my little late night rant on stewie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
They still do this?
Yep, they branched out and did other motorsport forums too, snowmobiles, cars, etc...
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

They branched out to things like PWCs very early on.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

do most of the sites they buy continue to do well or were the small majority that stays away from them. Still sad to see how they turned CF to shit.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
do most of the sites they buy continue to do well or were the small majority that stays away from them. Still sad to see how they turned CF to shit.
Depends. The usual seems to be that they take the site over and then slowly alienate and lose the original members, then there's a downturn, followed by an upswing of new members. I don't know that the really popular sites ever get back to their original membership though.

And we sort of preemptively turned CF to shit, I think, before the ads and crap really started to kick in. I had given a fair bit to try and keep it afloat, when they were having trouble, but damned if I was going to pay a e-strip miner for membership.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I'm with marko... I can't believe they are still in biz. They take over the forums and within months it's shit tubes.

You all should start having the regulars come over here...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Huh, from those that are holding a grudge... I thought I turned CF to shit.

Damn VS

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Depends. The usual seems to be that they take the site over and then slowly alienate and lose the original members, then there's a downturn, followed by an upswing of new members. I don't know that the really popular sites ever get back to their original membership though.

And we sort of preemptively turned CF to shit, I think, before the ads and crap really started to kick in. I had given a fair bit to try and keep it afloat, when they were having trouble, but damned if I was going to pay a e-strip miner for membership.
Seemed a lot of the core members knew it was comming. I met up with zeos after a td at summit and told me it was comming in a few months. I too threw them soem money and tried to buy from tricktape when I could just becasue they were good people but that drunk driver realy fucked them up. I thein VS reputation preceeded them taking over and most of us were aware of what they were/did so took off and bashed them at the same time.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Seemed a lot of the core members knew it was comming. I met up with zeos after a td at summit and told me it was comming in a few months. I too threw them soem money and tried to buy from tricktape when I could just becasue they were good people but that drunk driver realy fucked them up. I thein VS reputation preceeded them taking over and most of us were aware of what they were/did so took off and bashed them at the same time.
I think that a good number of us found out about vs when we met up in gettysburg
Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

I didn't realize it, but RiderForums was recently acquired by Forum Foundry. Never heard of them before, but they sound an awful lot like VS.