Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Erik whines about the heat not being turned up high enough. I have it set at 64-65 and it would be less if he didn't complain. But I pay the bill, so he has to respect so of what I say.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
In socal the heat is turned on a handful of times from Dec-March. The A/C is another story.
Pretty much like here.
It was actually cool enough here earlier in the week to justify it, but I just toughed it out.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
You guys are crazy. I want to be comfortable when I'm home, so the thermostat's set to 72 all year. I can't imagine being cold in my own home to save a few bucks a month.
BF's unemployment will run out next month, and I took a 50 % paycut in the last year. Last years gas bill at 65 degrees was $300 bucks for a well insulated, 500 ft duplex. So there is a good chance if I run the furnace that I won't even make enough to pay the bills. Hence the radiant heaters.

And please don't tell me to go get a better paying job, it just isn't happening in this economy.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

F-all that, sorry!! I live in AZ and its cold enough at night for the heat to come on. I dress warmly, but I'm not going to be uncomfortable in my own home. I also have electric heat so it must cost less than gas?

Laura, I would DIE if I lived in your house. 60 here is freezing! I mean, when you live here long enough you become a wimp and 60 is freezing! OK, actually even when I lived in Michigan that would have killed me. 72 is too cold for me unless its outside with sunshine!!
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
BF's unemployment will run out next month, and I took a 50 % paycut in the last year. Last years gas bill at 65 degrees was $300 bucks for a well insulated, 500 ft duplex. So there is a good chance if I run the furnace that I won't even make enough to pay the bills. Hence the radiant heaters.

And please don't tell me to go get a better paying job, it just isn't happening in this economy.
That seems pretty extreme, your gas company must be making a fortune. There's no reason it should cost $300/month to heat 500 sq. ft. unless you leave the doors and windows open.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
F-all that, sorry!! I live in AZ and its cold enough at night for the heat to come on. I dress warmly, but I'm not going to be uncomfortable in my own home. I also have electric heat so it must cost less than gas?
Heat pump is the cheapest. Highest the bill ever got for summer or winter was 65 bucks. And electric is much cheaper than gas, but prices may have gone from last year.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
That seems pretty extreme, your gas company must be making a fortune. There's no reason it should cost $300/month to heat 500 sq. ft. unless you leave the doors and windows open.
Utilities suck here in KCK. My water and sewer bill is $55 a month. That's 2 baths a day, 4 loads of laundry and dishes every other day.

I think the gas was very high last year because the gas company buys it well in advance. So if they bought the gas at last summers prices, which is the highest it's ever been, it might explain the outrageous prices last winter.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #18
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Um, ok, so you would tell that to a guest, or relative?

Extra heat for a couple of nights doesn't cost THAT much

Unless you guys own 10,000 sq-ft homes, which I highly doubt.
my house heats up pretty well when I'm cooking and we're moving around. If my sister (who is a human popsicle) is coming over, I'll light a fire in the fireplace. But otherwise? Nope. It's cold at my house. Deal. (mind you that keeping it at 70 for a month was an $800 electric bill - I just can't afford that. Period)

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post

Laura, I would DIE if I lived in your house. 60 here is freezing! I mean, when you live here long enough you become a wimp and 60 is freezing! OK, actually even when I lived in Michigan that would have killed me. 72 is too cold for me unless its outside with sunshine!!
No kidding! 72 is cold without the sun out and the wind blowing. I rode last weekend at night, it was probably like 60 degrees (maybe higher) and I thought I was going to get windburn on my legs

I don't dress warm though even with the heat on. The apt is warm enough for me to dress like I do in the summer.

Fleck you need to move out here to the desert. There are no jobs here either but at least your utilities will be cheap. The most I ever paid for my electric bill is about $100 in August and I was bitching and complaining about it and I live in an upstairs (warmer) unit, about 800 sq ft. Water, sewer trash is about $30 and my gas bill is never above $50 in the winter (and thats when the electric bill drops to about $40).
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #20
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

sweat shirts and keeping the heat lower

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote