Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
That's awesome.

When did you decide to "get back in shape?" (how many years ago?)

How far had you fallen off the in shape wagon? (Before stats or years as a lazy-ass.)
I was in so-so shape 2 years ago...had gall bladder surgery...and gave up....coasted on the sofa for about a year....ballooned up to 204...the heaviest I've ever been in my life. My daughter took a picture of me sitting on the sofa and that picture changed my life....I couldn't reconcile the image I saw in the picture with my "self image"....it pissed me straight off and motivated to DO SOMETHING about it....to change.

I did 3 months of weight lifting 3 days a week....cardio 2 days a week and yoga one day a week while I struggled to modify my nutrition....I work out in the morning....5:30a every day. I did "what I've always done" when trying to lose weight....modify portion sizes...ridding myself of the obvious bad choices...but wasn't really educated about or dedicated to nutrition. After 3 months, I was down to 180 but was still carrying too much body fat and wasn't satisfied with my "results."

I changed up my work outs....I started doing ultra high intensity cardio 6 days a week and added weight lifting 3 days a week after cardio. I go hiking every Saturday after I work out...usually 10 miles or so per hike...and I run every Sunday morning with my dog...usually 4-6 miles depending on how I feel. I took a crash course in nutrition...and through trial and error with different food types and recipes found a nutrition style that works for me....2,400 calories a day....40%/40%/20% carb/protein/fat split. It's easy to prepare...and gives me plenty of energy.

I use several tools to monitor progress....a calorie/composition counter on my Razr....body fat calipers....and a tape measure...I hit the scale once a week but what I'm doing keeps me right at 174 so it's not my primary progress measurement tool anymore.

The challenge now is to mix it up....I'm looking at a MMA inspired work out regimen....for 3 months....and a friend of mine sent me a BUDS (US Navy Seals) inspired 3 month challenge too. I'm always looking for ways to challenge myself both physically and mentally....I've done a couple of Gladiator Runs....looking at a Tough Mudder this Fall....and a half marathon in the fall with a co-worker. I hike all over...been to Arkansas a couple of times already this season...and have logged nearly 100 miles just in Kansas alone so far....I'm going to Summit County Colorado over the 4th of July to do some 10,000+ hiking near Breckenridge...another trail near Vail...and one more outside Dillon....REALLY stress test the cardiovascular system.

Having a lean and strong body is GOOD..best decision I ever made to dedicate myself to it and make it happen.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote