Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R
Default Fast Idle Issue?

Recently my bike hass been acting up. Didn't want to start or idle at first. Cleaned the air filter, changed the plugs and coils (one had cracked a while ago but didn't hurt anything) and oil and it starts no problem now. After it warms up it runs fine. The problem comes when it should be at high idle. Should go to about 2000 RPMs for 2 minutes after startup. Well, during that time it's hunting around, going from 1-2k RPM. And then the normal idle doesn't want to stay where I set it. That may be normal though and based on current engine temp.

I'm thinking a shot of 104+ Injector Cleaner or Seafoam will clear up the issue. Haven't tried it yet. My other thought is to do some reading and see if there's a separate injector port or if the computer just holds the injector open longer. Not sure what that would prove, but any knowledge is good. I don't recall seeing the injectors on a periodic maintenance checklist, but she does have 33,000 miles on her. Also used a small amount of oil since the last change, but I can understand that with all the heat and short bursts of high RPMs from city riding.

Has anyone else seen this? Any experience in how to fix it?