Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630
Default planning on changing gears next year

After I get some debts paid off, I think I might make the move to dual sport riding.

I want something semi highway capable, but more dirt bike-ish than street bike-ish.

After much research, my all time favorite bike is the Husqvarna TE610, or the new-this-year TE630.

I will be buying the bike new.

Here's the kicker. The nearest Husky dealer is over 300 miles away. While I don't mind a road trip, or doing my own wrenching when it is maintenance time, what happens if I need warranty work?

Now, there is a local KTM dealer. While I like their 530EXC, I'm not so thrilled that it's about $2000 more than the Husky, and has much higher maintenance intervals. It's basically a race bike with turn signals.

I'm also open to other dual sport suggestions. Here's what I'd like:

I want enough power that highway riding isn't miserable.

I want a bike that is more dirt oriented than street oriented. I'm not into the big bulky adventure bikes like the KLR650, etc. I don't really do long road trips on my bike, but a 300 mile day once in a while isn't out of the question.

I want fuel injection.

I want a 6-speed transmission.

I want water cooling.

The Husky seems to be right up my alley. I'm just concerned about not having a dealership nearby. I do all of my own maintenance. I have yet to let a dealer work on any bike of mine. But, if I end up needing a warranty fix, I don't want to be screwed or have to make a 350+ mile trip to get work done.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote