Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I'm GenX, but seem a bit GenMe. I think work is simply a way to make money to actually enjoy life. I started this new gov't job earning 4 weeks vacation, along with 2 1/2 weeks of sick time each year. Granted, I had 7 years prior military service, which counted toward my ability to earn vacation time. What's sweet is that after 8 years, I'll start earning just over 5 weeks vacation time per year (when "regular" newbies have to work 15 years to get to that point).

Now, what sucks is that we do have use or lose. You can't carry more than 240 hours foward to the next year. So, anything above the 240 would be lost if you didn't burn it. I seriously doubt I will be taking 4 weeks vacation each year, along with the 2 1/2 weeks of sick time (simply because of all the federal holidays), so I'm sure I'll get into the use or lose situation by the end of my second year.

If you have 240 hours leave accrued at the end of the year, you can accrue another 208 (max available to earn in a year) and MUST take 5 weeks vacation during that year so you don't lose it all. I know old timers who simply take 5 weeks off each year starting with the last week of November because they don't burn vacay time at any other time during the year, but don't want to lose their time.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote