Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
man it looks like youre ready for the appocalypse, how big is the place youre heating?

Our house isnt that big and were on the fence about updating our gas furnace/heater. its 29 yrs old and the service guy said keep it till it dies (which with my luck will be on the coldest day of the year on a sun night in feb.

Thing is the newer smart furnaces will save us a lot of our gas bills and will pay for itself in the long run, but we dont have the 7k plus to plunk down on one, so we may just deal with it his year and see about next year.

Tom
About 2400 sq ft ( PA does NOT include basement footage in the total )

My wife and I purchased this house in Oct '03. It HAD electric heat when we purchased it, our first winter bill was $280 for one month. I wasn't happy ( BIG understatement) and told my wife just to pay the bill and not let me know how much.

My friend Chris owns a heating and cooling business and we had him install a oil fired hot air system with central air that spring. That's when we upped the tank total to four. We also have him maintain the system and purchase our oil from someone else. As he pointed out, why have the company that you purchase your oil from do your heater tuneup. It is NOT in their best interest to make it run at peak effeciency as they will sell more oil if it's not perfectly tuned.

The main air intake for the system is in the livingroom across from the coal insert. That way we can run the fan and move the heated air throughout the entire house.

The franco-belge unit is in the basement so that keeps the floors warm and the heat comes up in the kitchen ( that stairway is just inside the deck ).
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote