Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #36
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
What I was getting at is that you obviously have the experience to ride extremely competently the correct way. Speaking for myself, I was never riding past 75% at any time during the rally because honestly, there's no reason to ever push that hard on the street.
Wow - thanks Josh, I appreciate the compliment (back atcha ) and agree totally on the wisdom of a '75%' or less pace. The hard part, for me anyway, has been finding and maintaining that pace somewhere between 'too slow to have fun & feeling like I'm brake-checking myself' and 'gonna get myself killed eventually'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Older more experienced guys tend to think of those things more, but still manage to sometimes get "caught up" in the moment and go all out, only considering the consequences later, when they have the "what was I thinking" moment.
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I don't know but I still want to believe that it's similar as to why there aren't many black racers. I still think that it's because people aren't out buying their daughters pocket bikes or XR50s when they're 3 or 4 years old, like they do boys.
I definitely agree with that. It seems virtually all your top-ranked racers started on 2-wheels around the time they could walk, and to a degree it boils down to which 'demographic' was handed a training tool right out of the crib.

I think this has evolved into an apples vs. oranges debate though - women tending to be competent-within-their-skills/cautious/non-dumbass street riders vs. being capable of becoming top-ranked racers.
Oh well, it's all good - carry on....
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote