Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Seriously I'm stupid... so if I have a '97 YZF1000 with 130hp and 80 ft/lbs or a 2008 GSXR 750 with 130hp and 65 ft/lbs of torque or a 2006 GSXR1000 with 160hp and 85 ft/lbs of torque and they all redline about the same, which is better? I mean most 1000s redline around 13,000 so why are they faster than 600s that redline at your 17,000? I seriously don't get it. Basically, a 600 that redlined at 20,000 will beat a 'busa at the dragstrip because of it's higher rpms? Huh?
Honestly, on the track they would be pretty similar because you're using the work of the engine to achieve acceleration.

Now, on the street where you're likely to be in the wrong gear, the higher tq would make a world of difference.

Keep in mind though, if the hp is equal the engine would be moving the same amount of air and fuel barring slight variations such as compression and frictional losses. As for your busa analogy, the tq and length of the busa would get it off the line faster.

Keep in mind with the rolling start that advantage is taken away from the buell.

The problem with all engines is piston velocity and the cost to build them to withstand those stresses.

Talk more later. Typing on a blackberry sucks..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote