Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Lee Parks class

Lee Parks, of Total Control, gave a free class last evening at a local BMW dealer. Over 30 people showed up. Three of us came on bikes. It was 50 degrees when I rode there. I parked my 30-year-old GS1000 next to my friend Dean's three-year-old GSX-R1000. When I came out it was 30 degrees, windy, and light snow. Lee and others were pointing at my bike when they came out. I hope they weren't laughing.

Lee showed slides and talked about cornering. Very appropriate for Colorado. He said to take small incremental steps when changing or learning motorcycle skills. And that's what's practiced at his Total Control course. He also said to minimize your muscle input into the bike. Your arms and hands must be relaxed.

I relax my arms and hands when I ride twisties, but I tighten my stomach and lower back muscles. Especially when I'm leaning off the bike. He covered his ten steps on proper cornering from his book. Then he had people come up and showed the steps on a demo bike.

I took the Total Control course in 2007. I've been riding since 1971 and I thought I was pretty good. But I was brought down to earth when two instructors were critiquing my every move on the bike. Lee Parks said he is going to have a part II on the Total Control course. Lee is a great speaker and had a question-and-answer period afterward. If you have a chance to listen to him or take the Total Control course, just do it. The book is real good too.

Here’s me and Lee Parks. He's on the left.
[img][/img]
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote