Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600
Default Dear Abby...

Head up her ass or no?

Quote:
DEAR ABBY: I am only 24, but consider myself an old-fashioned parent. My wife and I have three daughters who are the center of our lives. Everywhere we go, we are complimented on how well-behaved our children are. When asked for our "secret," we tell the truth -- we use the belt to keep our children in line. When I was a child, my mom did the same with me, and I know it's more help than harm.

The problem is, as soon as people hear it they assume we simply beat our kids into submission. How can I help people understand that discipline and abuse are two different things? -- JOHN IN SAVANNAH

DEAR JOHN: Abuse and discipline ARE two different things. Abuse is punishment. Discipline teaches -- and helps a child to eventually become self-disciplined. Using a belt on your little girls shows them that violence is acceptable -- and that they can expect it from you, just as you learned it was acceptable from your parents.

There are more effective ways to communicate with children than by hitting them with belts. Grounding them, taking away toys, cell phone and television privileges are effective, nonviolent and preferable means of letting a child know that certain behaviors are unacceptable.
I say head up her ass!! I am a full advocate of a kid getting their butt beat when warranted. I had my fair share as a child, and they were all deserved. But my parents also made clear before and after that they loved me, preferred not to do it, but that I gave them no choice.

As a result, I am a well balanced (usually), responsible adult who totally respects and loves my parents. They didnt beat me, nor do I think spanking is an act of violence (unless it is abuse) but theres a difference between spanking and abuse. As for being an advocate of it, HELL YES, beat a kids ass when they need it. My parents beat my butt, but resorted to Dear Abby's other methods of discipline with my 2 much younger sisters. As a result, my sisters disrespect, talk back, and walk all over my parents, with my oldest sister actaully raising her hand to them a time or 2. Grounding, time out, verbal punishment just simply doesnt do it. At least not in my family.

Whats ya'lls take?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote