Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Skunkworks ftmfw!!!

Honestly I wonder what kind of shit is really out there. The F-117 had use in Vietnam but no one really thinks of those until the Persian-Gulf war in the early 90s. The fucking SR-71 I think had use before Vietnam but wasn't mentioned until much later on and still dominates in top speed (If they were still flying). So I assume there has to be some crazy shit out there.

As for anyone touching hte F-22. I'm not sure if Russia has made any progress past the Mig-25/29(can't recall off the top of my head) and maybe Iran has some fine Sopwith Camels that are slow enough to make a supersonic jet inaffective. But I wonder when is the last time we had a full blown bullets to bullets dog fight.
US fighters play chase with Ruskies occaisionally just like in TopGun but they don't ever get dogfight close. Just hide and seek with the radar. Last real Dogfights between modern fighters were Israeli/Arab affairs.

During the Gulf 1 and 2 we had a few radar kills but as for close in dogfighting not in a long time. Primarily our battlefield intelligence doesn't require eyes on to get a verifycation of a target. AWACS or Satellite has them IDed and then they get killed BVR (beyond visual range). Kinda takes the romance out of it huh?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote