Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure
Default Gun control means being able to hit your target - ask this lady

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...6?OpenDocument

A woman who was raped in her Cape Girardeau, Mo., home last weekend shot and fatally wounded the attacker when he broke in again early Friday morning, officials said.

Prosecuting Attorney H. Morley Swingle said no charges would be filed against the woman, 57, who shot Ronnie W. Preyer, 47, a registered sex offender, in the chest with a shotgun.

Officials said she did not know him.

At about midnight Oct. 25, she heard glass break in her basement and was grabbed by a man as she tried to flee out the front door. He punched her in the face, forced her into a bedroom and raped her, Swingle said.

She reported the crime to police, and her landlord repaired the window.

On Friday, she was home alone, watching TV about 2:15 a.m. when a man broke the same basement window and switched off the electricity to the house, Swingle said.

She tried to call 911 but couldn't with the power off. So she got a shotgun and waited as the man began banging on a door from the basement. She fired when he came crashing through the door.

After she fled to a neighbor's home to call police, officers found Preyer, badly wounded, stumbling away. He died at St. Francis Medical Center several hours later.

Swingle said the victim identified Preyer from photos as her previous attacker. When he was shot, Preyer, of Jackson, Mo., had wet caulking on his clothing from the recently repaired basement window.

Preyer had been convicted in New Madrid, Mo., in 1989 of rape and robbery and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. He was convicted in 2006 of failing to register as a sex offender, and earlier this year of misdemeanor assault.

Said Swingle, "I will not be filing any sort of charge against this ... woman, who was clearly justified under the law in shooting this intruder in her home."

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Go lady!!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Good on her, too bad she couldn't have shot him before he raped her the first time
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

My sister and brother-in-law live in Cape.

Good on her. I believe every house should be required to own and keep a firearm for home defense.

I'd bet he wouldn't have broken in the first time were that the case.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Every body should know the laws in their areas. The use of deadly force is highly frowned on here.

We have to retreat to the furthest point and escape if possible. How ever, if someone breaks through two doors or traps you. Then fire away. I would be in trouble if it happened to me. The fucker would be dead in my house.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84 View Post
Every body should know the laws in their areas. The use of deadly force is highly frowned on here...
Colorado has the "Make My Day" law, which comes from the landmark 1985 Colorado statute that protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force - including deadly force - against an invader of the home. This law has been upheld in every case.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
t-homo
WSB Champion

Castle laws are great. The end of this story is great, but its a terrible story.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
Good on her, too bad she couldn't have shot him before he raped her the first time
So true...the f*ckin' scumbag.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
t-homo
WSB Champion

I agree crime rate would drastically decrease. And people are still fighting to get guns taken away????
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84 View Post
Every body should know the laws in their areas. The use of deadly force is highly frowned on here.

We have to retreat to the furthest point and escape if possible. How ever, if someone breaks through two doors or traps you. Then fire away. I would be in trouble if it happened to me. The fucker would be dead in my house.

Holy crap, thats ridiculous!! DO they actually try and uphold that in a case like this?

As for this story, terrible, but way to go in making sure it didnt happen again!!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote