Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default Solar, electric cars, batteries, and making money without trying.

I've been thinking (always dangerous).

I've been considering solar, and a battery array. My house is literally all electric, and if I added enough panels, I might even end up with the electric company "paying my rent", if I can get the fucking meter spinning backwards fast enough.

I'm watching TV the other day, and they were talking about how today's modern electric/hybrid battery cars, with their huge storage capacities, and computer-run charging schemes, could not only be programmed to be charged at night, when current is cheaper...but that this battery array alternately could then be used to even power your house during the daylight hours, when current can actually cost double (depending on where you live).

So my thoughts went back simply to the storage battery array part of a typical solar home installation, and I thought; hmmmm:

What if you said fuck the car, fuck the solar panels, but just hook up a shitload of batteries? ...And then charge them at night when the rates are low, and sell that shit right back to the grid during peak hours...and fucking MAKE MONEY for doing absolutely SHIT (my single favorite concept of all time)?

Why not just "bank" current?

Last edited by Avatard; 07-19-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I'm guessing that with the cost of batteries and depending on your usage, you probably won't make shit.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Find and watch the video "Holmes on Homes - Lien on Me." You'll like what they did. A family's home was renovated by a "friend of the family" who did such a great job, that later inspection showed that it should probably be condemned. Holmes tore it down and built a new house using solar electric panels and solar water heating, an elevator (for when your joints are acting up), and tapped the whole thing into a huge UPS in the basement.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

By the time you get all the equipment bought it would cost thousands, and good luck making that back a few cents a night
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
By the time you get all the equipment bought it would cost thousands, and good luck making that back a few cents a night
and thats comming from a jew
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Double. As in 100% return.

Use refurbished lead acid car batts, and the cost is quite low.

Since when is 100% a bad return?

You guys are gonna hafta do better than that to talk me outta this idea.

Which one of you slide-rule motherfuckers can shoot me down better than that?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Double. As in 100% return.

Use refurbished lead acid car batts, and the cost is quite low.

Since when is 100% a bad return?

You guys are gonna hafta do better than that to talk me outta this idea.

Which one of you slide-rule motherfuckers can shoot me down better than that?
The lead acid car batteries are not ideal but here in New England there are several companies that would be happy to help you design a system. Solar systems tend to be to inconsistent and require a back up of some kind. A few of more "Self Reliant" off the Grid associates have systems , they also use wind and back up generators (one is a rather nice Diesel system and he process restaurant fryer oils into bio diesel) I looked into a system 100% is possible over about 15 years. If you don't count maintenance or have any critical failures. Let us know how it goes , I would love to see pictures
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

So you would power your entire house from a bank of automotive type (DC) batteries?

What amount of amperage does your house use daily, and what kind of power loss will you experience using an inverter to convert it from DC to AC? I would think knowing this would give you an idea of how big a battery bank you would need.
I just picture a basement full of lead acid batteries, venting gas during the normal discharge / charge cycle.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
So you would power your entire house from a bank of automotive type (DC) batteries?

What amount of amperage does your house use daily, and what kind of power loss will you experience using an inverter to convert it from DC to AC? I would think knowing this would give you an idea of how big a battery bank you would need.
I just picture a basement full of lead acid batteries, venting gas during the normal discharge / charge cycle.
For lighting there would be no need of a power inverter. LED lights are very efficient and now available with sufficient brightness. There are also a wide range of appliances available to run on 12VDC, for use in campers and on boats.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

As long as you can perform the maintenance yourself and are equipped to handle a battery mishap, go for it. A battery bank can present a very real danger though. Make sure you have it secure from idiots/vandals and have an adequate location to contain a spill.

No way in hell I would try it with car batteries though.

Solar is still pretty costly for an average user, if you do it right and get the right tax credits and other benefits, you can make it pay off in a decade or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote