Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

Moto: 2005 SV650s blue
Default Gear indicator

I know there are gear indicators on teh market for around $100... but I'm an ECE major (actually computer eng), and it seems like a lot of money for something that is probably a very simple circuit. so I'm kinda curious if anyone knows any info about the speed/rpm/other signals that go to the dashboard... I guess I could just hook up my bike to an oscilloscope??

not that I really need one, just would be a fun project.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

From what I have read, the fancy ones use the tach and speedo to calculate gear. That would be more chip programming than I would care to get into and the cost to get the software and hardware to do this would warrant the $100 to buy one. If you planned to sell them, then it could possibly be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

yeah thats what i've found so far, but its kinda hard to mount an oscilloscope to your bike and ride around to figure out the details of the signal...

true its probably not worth doing money and effort wise but if i can do it for anything less than $150 i would do it, most of them are priced from 100- 150 and up. I probably have more free time than you

and i've done some basic microcontroller programming before , but really need to know the signal details first.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
yeah thats what i've found so far, but its kinda hard to mount an oscilloscope to your bike and ride around to figure out the details of the signal...

true its probably not worth doing money and effort wise but if i can do it for anything less than $150 i would do it, most of them are priced from 100- 150 and up. I probably have more free time than you

and i've done some basic microcontroller programming before , but really need to know the signal details first.
Well,if you know a friendly dyno owner...... or if you're REALLY,REALLY smart you could crack the programming in the computer since most,if not all FI bikes send that info to the bikes computer along with throttle position, o2 info, rpm, speed,etc.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

good point tigger, actually just searching around, it looks like there is a gear position sensor which gives different resistances to the ECU. tap the wire and then use a circuit like this:

http://www.bluegauges.com/gpi_stuff/gpi_schematic.gif

so then you'd have an led counter, 1 led on for 1st gear, 2 on for 2nd etc.

I think that would work...

I should probably invest in a manual for my bike first heh
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

My 75 Suzuki GT550 and 76 GT750 had digital gear indicators. No idea how they worked, but they were definitely kool. Could probably find them in a junk yard, but they were five-speeds.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
good point tigger, actually just searching around, it looks like there is a gear position sensor which gives different resistances to the ECU. tap the wire and then use a circuit like this:

http://www.bluegauges.com/gpi_stuff/gpi_schematic.gif

so then you'd have an led counter, 1 led on for 1st gear, 2 on for 2nd etc.

I think that would work...

I should probably invest in a manual for my bike first heh
Hell that site is everything you need, it's already setup for suzukis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

it might need some tweaking, but the basic idea is there.. and all for < 10$ in parts im sure. then I just need to find a good way to mount the LEDs. only possible concern is any damage i could do to the bike by tapping the Gear Pos. Sensor

Last edited by Crazy; 07-10-2008 at 11:08 PM..
Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I had one on the 9R. Installed it myself... it was AWESOME!!

Don't have any pics or links here at work... Will have to post up some info on it when I get home.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
My 75 Suzuki GT550 and 76 GT750 had digital gear indicators. No idea how they worked, but they were definitely kool. Could probably find them in a junk yard, but they were five-speeds.
Yea,my '81 Seca 750 had a gear indicator, a gas gage, and self canceling turn signals (or was that my '88 V-Max?),anyway,it's always irritated me that the OEMs stopped putting that stuff on bikes and have only recently brought back gear indicators. Heck,my Maxim X had a built in security chain that stored in the frame and used the ignition key!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote