Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default IIHS asks gov't to mandate ABS on motorcycles

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/09/i...n-motorcycles/

Safety group urges highway agency to require anti-lock brakes on new motorcycles

By Ashley Halsey III
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 7, 2010; A07

Citing research showing that fatal motorcycle accidents could be reduced by more than a third, an insurance industry group has asked for a federal mandate to require anti-lock brakes on all new motorcycles.

Until last year, the number of motorcycle fatalities had steadily increased, reaching a record 5,290 two years ago. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, which can draw on accident reports from the insurance companies that support it, asked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Thursday to require that new motorbikes be equipped with the brakes.

"Traveling on two wheels instead of four is always riskier, but our new research shows that anti-lock brake technology can make motorcycle riding a much safer way to get around," Adrian Lund, president of the institute, said.

Concern about the added cost -- estimated by motorcycle industry sources at more than $1,000 a bike -- and other issues made motorcycle groups reluctant to embrace a mandate. In a statement, the American Motorcyclist Association endorsed making the brakes an option on more models than manufacturers offer but said they are "not a panacea."

"There are situations when [anti-lock brakes] can increase the risk of a crash, such as when riding an off-highway motorcycle on a trail, or when riding an on-highway or dual-sport motorcycle on a dirt or gravel road," the group said.

Unlike automobile brakes, which respond to a single pedal, a motorcycle has independently controlled front and rear brakes. In some off-road situations, a rider might intentionally clamp down on the rear brake to correct direction if the bike swerves in deep mud or gravel.

With anti-lock brakes, pressure is evaluated several times a second so that the motorcycle avoids stopping so abruptly that the rider loses control.

Insurance institute researchers found that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes were 37 percent less likely to be involved in fatal crashes. Another study determined that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes had 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year than the same models without them.

Lund said the two reports provided "compelling evidence that anti-locks reduce fatal crash risk and lower insurance losses. NHTSA has what it needs to move forward with a regulation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Are you effing kidding me
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I'm going to go on record as saying I hate the IIHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

*sigh*

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Another study determined that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes had 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year than the same models without them.

Lund said the two reports provided "compelling evidence that anti-locks reduce fatal crash risk and lower insurance losses. NHTSA has what it needs to move forward with a regulation."
That study wouldn't have found that the bikes that even come with antilock brakes are high end motorcycles that have a different type of owner. That OWNER is probably less likely to make an insurance claim, in general.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

My brother asked me if my bike had ABS, and he looked at me like I was crazy when I told him, "No, and I don't want it"

In testing by many enthusiast publications, it does stop shorter and safer than Non-ABS.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Hahaha. Imagine rolling around on a POS Hyosung with ABS. The brakes would be like 20% of the bike's cost.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
My brother asked me if my bike had ABS, and he looked at me like I was crazy when I told him, "No, and I don't want it"

In testing by many enthusiast publications, it does stop shorter and safer than Non-ABS.
Now hold on a minute. I love the argument against ABS... why don't you want it?

I don't want them required, but I'm all for having the technology.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
That study wouldn't have found that the bikes that even come with antilock brakes are high end motorcycles that have a different type of owner. That OWNER is probably less likely to make an insurance claim, in general.

I was thinking exactly the same thing; 30 year, 50 year-old rider on a high-zoot sport/tourer vs. Squiddly who's been riding for 6 months, on his CBRZXRYZF1500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post

If you're talking about the same publications that I'm thinking of, ABS stopped shorter than riders who had not taken advanced riding schools. ART would do more for rider safety than most technology could.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Um, I'm no Valentino Rossi, but I do remember quite vividly rather deftly avoiding a grass island in a Pathmark parking lot one dark night strictly because I was able to dab my rear brake, and lock my rear tire momentarily, and redirect my motorcycle around it.

I really don't care for anyone or anything modulating my brakes for me, thanks.