Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default Facebook is out of control!

Im seriously considering deleting my account, not that it will do any good, theyll still have my information and theyll still sell it. This article doesnt even talk about the Facebook "Open Graph" project where as long as you keep your account log in they can track your movements on the web to any site that uses their code on the site. If you see a Facebook Like/Dislike button on a site it means youve been linked to your FB account.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/05...about-facebook

Quote:
Six Things You Need to Know About Facebook Connections
Commentary by Kurt Opsahl
"Connections." It's an innocent-sounding word. But it's at the heart of some of the worst of Facebook's recent changes.

Facebook first announced Connections a few weeks ago, and EFF quickly wrote at length about the problems they created. Basically, Facebook has transformed substantial personal information — including your hometown, education, work history, interests, and activities — into "Connections." This allows far more people than ever before to see this information, regardless of whether you want them to.

Since then, our email inbox has been flooded with confused questions and reports about these changes. We've learned lots more about everyone's concerns and experiences. Drawing from this, here are six things you need to know about Connections:

Facebook will not let you share any of this information without using Connections. You cannot opt-out of Connections. If you refuse to play ball, Facebook will remove all unlinked information from your profile.

Facebook will not respect your old privacy settings in this transition. For example, if you had previously sought to share your Interests with "Only Friends," Facebook will now ignore this and share your Connections with "Everyone."

Facebook has removed your ability to restrict its use of this information. The new privacy controls only affect your information's "Visibility," not whether it is "publicly available."

Explaining what "publicly available" means, Facebook writes:

"Such information may, for example, be accessed by everyone on the Internet (including people not logged into Facebook), be indexed by third party search engines, and be imported, exported, distributed, and redistributed by us and others without privacy limitations."

Facebook will continue to store and use your Connections even after you delete them. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there. Even after you "delete" profile information, Facebook will remember it. We've also received reports that Facebook continues to use deleted profile information to help people find you through Facebook's search engine.

Facebook sometimes creates a Connection when you "Like" something. That "Like" button you see all over Facebook, and now all over the web? It too can sometimes add a Connection to your profile, without you even knowing it.

Facebook sometimes creates a Connection when you post to your wall. If you use the name of a Connection in a post on your wall, it may show up on the Connection Page, without you even knowing it. (For example, if you use the word "FBI" in a post).

You can send Facebook your comments on the new Connections here.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

I never see the like/dislike button on any other place aside from FB.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I never see the like/dislike button on any other place aside from FB.
This is a new system that just came out. The idea is to make any site on the web, Facebook.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20003053-36.html
Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

I saw one on CNN.com...
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzergirl View Post
I saw one on CNN.com...
That means youre still logged in to FB, if you log out the button should go away. Since you were logged in and the button was there, FB now knows that you went to CNN.com and its possible that CNN has some access to your FB information. FB hasnt been clear about what they share with their partners but a lot of people are nervous about this new system.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Yeah, I noticed this on a couple of other sites. CNN had a section that had some of my Facebook friends, and the articles from CNN they liked. Spooky, and almost enough to make me delete my account.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Read the article earlier this morning and have been thinking about it. I think its time for me to step back from the Facebook world now.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I haven't seen it, but I don't stay logged in anymore.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

People just don't seem to understand that their need for attention is going to eliminate all their freedom one day.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

I use firefox, and it is set to clear all history, cache, and login information when it is closed.

I always close it an use a new window when opening sites.