Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default TSA gets all butt-hurt, subpoenas bloggers

TSA subpoenas bloggers, demands names of sources
By The Associated Press
December 30, 2009, 8:38PM

As the government reviews how an alleged terrorist was able to bring a bomb onto a U.S.-bound plane and try to blow it up on Christmas Day, the Transportation Security Administration is going after bloggers who wrote about a directive to increase security after the incident.

TSA special agents served subpoenas to travel bloggers Steve Frischling and Chris Elliott, demanding that they reveal who leaked the security directive to them. The government says the directive was not supposed to be disclosed to the public.

Frischling said he met with two TSA special agents Tuesday night at his Connecticut home for about three hours and again on Wednesday morning when he was forced to hand over his lap top computer. Frischling said the agents threatened to interfere with his contract to write a blog for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines if he didn't cooperate and provide the name of the person who leaked the memo.

"It literally showed up in my box," Frischling told The Associated Press. "I do not know who it came from." He said he provided the agents a signed statement to that effect.

In a Dec. 29 posting on his blog, Elliott said he had told the TSA agents at his house that he would call his lawyer and get back to them. Elliott said late Wednesday he could not comment until the legal issues had been resolved.

The TSA declined to say how many people were subpoenaed.

The directive was dated Dec. 25 and was issued after a 23-year-old Nigerian man was charged with attempting to bomb a Northwest Airlines flight as it approached Detroit from Amsterdam. The bomb, which allegedly was hidden in Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's underwear, malfunctioned and no one was killed. Authorities said the device included a syringe and a condom-like bag filled with powder that the FBI determined to be PETN, a common explosive.

The near-miss attack has prompted President Barack Obama to order a review of what intelligence information the government had about Abdulmutallab and why it wasn't shared with the appropriate agencies. He also ordered a review of U.S. aviation security. The government has spent billions of dollars and undergone massive reorganizations since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

The TSA directive outlined new screening measures that went into effect the same day as the airliner incident. It included many procedures that would be apparent to the traveling public, such as screening at boarding gates, patting down the upper legs and torso, physically inspecting all travelers' belongings, looking carefully at syringes with powders and liquids, requiring that passengers remain in their seats one hour before landing, and disabling all onboard communications systems, including what is provided by the airline. (talk about stupid ideas )

It also listed people who would be exempted from these screening procedures such as heads of state and their families. (are you serious )

This is the second time in a month that the TSA has found some of its sensitive airline security documents on the Internet. (waaaaa waaaaa.......maybe if they wouldn't create such ridiculous & unnecessary rules, people wouldn't leak the details)

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-31-2009 at 12:07 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Maybe if they were good at their job, they could keep a memo secured.

And these are the people in charge of your safety..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
(waaaaa waaaaa.......maybe if they wouldn't create such ridiculous & unnecessary rules, people wouldn't leak the details)
As ridiculous as their rules may be, I'd be more pissed if they weren't looking for the source of that leak.

Since when is it Ok to leak classified information, just because you don't agree with it?

Fuck that, somebody needs firing.

JC
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
As ridiculous as their rules may be, I'd be more pissed if they weren't looking for the source of that leak.

Since when is it Ok to leak classified information, just because you don't agree with it?

Fuck that, somebody needs firing.

JC
I doubt it had a very high level of classification, since it was what they were planning on dictating to the public pretty soon anyway.

They just don't like it because the leak forced them to rethink it a little, because everyone saw how stupid their ideas were.

Every single day I see information in the press that was leaked from a government source saying "interviewed on condition of anonomity"..........and nothing is done. How is this different? It's like they only take action if they get embarrased and don't like it.

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-31-2009 at 10:00 AM..
Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I doubt it had a very high level of classification, since it was what they were planning on dictating to the public pretty soon anyway.

They just don't like it because the leak forced them to rethink it a little, because everyone saw how stupid their ideas were.

Every single day I see information in the press that was leaked from a government source saying "interviewed on condition of anonomity"..........and nothing is done. How is this different? It's like they only take action if they get embarrased and don't like it.
The level of classification is not the point.

In military terms, you have "Classified", "Secret" and "Top Secret". I realize the TSA is not a part of the military, but I would assume they use a similar classification system.

In short, information is either classified or it isn't. It's not even close to being the same as general information that gets leaked out of other offices.

Someone could go to jail for this, if indeed the information was deemed classified, and "Well, they were going to find out anyway" is not much of a legal defense.

JC
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

true
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

I think the fucking TSA should be replaced with Walmart Greeters. From what I've seen, they look like a sharper lot.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I'm sure this will be fixed once the government runs the internet...lol

Yeah lets fucking blame the public citizen who has in the information instead of blaming the one who leaked it. Gotta always cover shit up and pass blame. Government FTL.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I'm sure this will be fixed once the government runs the internet...lol

Yeah lets fucking blame the public citizen who has in the information instead of blaming the one who leaked it. Gotta always cover shit up and pass blame. Government FTL.
Blame? I don't see them blaming them. I see them trying to force information about where they got the information, which shouldn't have been publicly disclosed. If employees feel free to disclose information that could put the public at risk, then those employees need to be found and charged.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

I'd just like to point out that there's no such thing as a TSA "special agent." TSA employees like to call themselves "agents" because they recently got issued real badges instead of sew-ons, but you won't find TSA employees at FLETC.* They are mall cops at airports.

*Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, where government agents from various agencies under the DHS are trained.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote