Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default charge thieves w/ dog's death?

so remember a bit back in FLA. dude ran from cops, cop crashed died, dude was charged w/ his death and convicted and is in jail.

well this case, a police dog died in pursuit of some thieves, i think a snake got him , and it's not fully investigated yet.

do you think it'll run the same course as runner dude?

police dogs are essentially police personnal as far as i knew.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/22044552/detail.html

Police Dog Dies During Search
Cause Of Death Not Yet Known

POSTED: Wednesday, December 23, 2009
UPDATED: 10:06 am CST December 23, 2009

HOUSTON -- A police dog died while searching for home invasion suspects in north Houston, KPRC Local 2 reported Wednesday.

Harris County Precinct 4 deputy constables said several people broke into a home on Sterling Stone at Stone Bluff Tuesday night.

Deputies caught one person, but two others ran into some nearby woods.

Dogs were brought in to search for the suspects. During the search, one of the dogs, a 5-year-old named Bleck, was found dead.

Officials are not yet sure how the dog died.

"We searched for the suspects and lost them, unfortunately. Somewhere in the process, our canine in a very thick wood-line succumbed to an unknown injury," said Capt. Wally Wieghat of the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office.

The dog showed no signs of trauma. A necropsy will be conducted to determine the cause of the death of the Czech-German Shepherd mix.

Wieghat said the dog's handler is taking the death very hard.

The two home invasion suspects escaped.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Stupid law. If the policeman slips into traffic while he is giving you a ticket, should you be responsible?

Its a peril of the job.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Stupid law. If the policeman slips into traffic while he is giving you a ticket, should you be responsible?

Its a peril of the job.
If he slips into traffic going by while giving you a ticket, that's his own issue but if he's chasing you on foot because you are fleeing from the scene of a robbery and he gets hit by a car, are you still saying that it isn't the fault of the person being chased? I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your reasoning. If you run from the cops and a cop gets injured, it's your fault because you're running.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
If he slips into traffic going by while giving you a ticket, that's his own issue but if he's chasing you on foot because you are fleeing from the scene of a robbery and he gets hit by a car, are you still saying that it isn't the fault of the person being chased? I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your reasoning. If you run from the cops and a cop gets injured, it's your fault because you're running.
I disagree 100%. The law in this case is unjust. Yes, the perp is responsible for running. And the charge of felony fleeing or evading should be laid. But, there are so many variables that it is beyond retarded to think you should be held responsible for somebody else's actions.

If the cop slipped in dog poo and kicked a baby giving it brain damage, are you responsible? What if he has a heart attack? What if he drops his pistol and it discharges, are you responsible?

I'm not saying you should have a get out of jail free card, but I am saying the police are big grown men. THEY should be responsible for their actions. If you can't chase somebody down while ensuring you're keeping the public safe, then you shouldn't be chasing people.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I disagree 100%. The law in this case is unjust. Yes, the perp is responsible for running. And the charge of felony fleeing or evading should be laid. But, there are so many variables that it is beyond retarded to think you should be held responsible for somebody else's actions.

If the cop slipped in dog poo and kicked a baby giving it brain damage, are you responsible? What if he has a heart attack? What if he drops his pistol and it discharges, are you responsible?

I'm not saying you should have a get out of jail free card, but I am saying the police are big grown men. THEY should be responsible for their actions. If you can't chase somebody down while ensuring you're keeping the public safe, then you shouldn't be chasing people.
I would agree with Tmall, unless something you do directly(throw something at the officer, shoot at the officer, etc) to hurt them, the perp should not be responsible.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
RACER X
AMA Supersport

well i do think a bad guy is liable for whatever happens in capturing him.

i think the police dog thing is like, either a human goes or a dog goes. and if perp is willing to shoot police dog, he's willing to shoot human. so rather a dog get shot then human.

just like this case, if a human was chasing dude and got bit by snake, and died, perp woulda been charged w/ cops death.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
RACER X
AMA Supersport

from local rider who was K-9 cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
I can shed some light in this as a retired k9 popo.

a k9 or horse that is given status as a police officer is, if killed on duty, 1 charge below killing a human police officer.
you won't get capitol murder charges, but the next step down. in this case, it's likely they will be held responsible for neglegent killing of a police animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
it's the same. there is a reason behind this law. k9's are nothing like your typical dog. my last one knew over 60 commands, 20 of them hand signals. if you don't create a safe zone in the law, there's no reason for bad guys NOT to injure the animal during the commision of a crime. since they extend police powers and are used to apprehend the MOST violent of criminals, it serves to protect the handler and the dog. these dogs require an insane amount of training, upkeep, and recurrent certification to work. they are a force multiplier in the law enforcement community. they are the last step in the lethal force continuim, before using a firearm.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
I would agree with Tmall, unless something you do directly(throw something at the officer, shoot at the officer, etc) to hurt them, the perp should not be responsible.
I think it's the most common-sense apportionment of blame and responsibility.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Did the perp kill the dog? If so, charge him. If the dog fell off a cliff and broke its neck, well sucks to be the dog..
Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I agree with Tmall....unless the robber intentionally caused the harm, it's the peril of the job so to say...

And I don't agree on the police dog thing at all. If you kill a dog it is still a dog. There are no dogs covered by the Constitution of the United States. Stupidest law I know to treat a dog as a human being (and I don't care how much training it had).

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 12-23-2009 at 10:43 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote