Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

Exclamation BMW (the car company) aims to reduce left turn accidents

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

BMW is working to lessen the number of fatalities caused by drivers turning left at intersections (in left-hand drive countries, that is). When the "left hand drive assistant" detects that the driver intends to turn left, three laser scanners in the front end of the car kick in to map the area up to 100 meters (328 ft) ahead. If the system detects oncoming vehicles and the driver continues to move into the intersection, it will sound a warning and automatically activate the brakes to prevent a collision.

The left turn assistant, which is being tested on the BMW 5 Series test vehicle, recognizes when the vehicle is entering the left turn lane in two ways: through the use of the vehicle's navigation system, which can fix the car's location to within a meter (3.3 ft) at an intersection, and by detecting the turn-off lane markings and lane borders on the road through the use of a mono camera. Another test scenario being run by BMW sees the system being activated when the driver hits the vehicle's turn signal.

Once the system is activated, the three laser scanners in the vehicle's front end scan the area to detect oncoming cars, trucks and motorcycles. If any approaching vehicles are detected and the driver continues to move into the intersection the system will apply the brakes, sound a warning and display a warning in the instrument cluster and head-up display. To ensure the system doesn't slam on the brakes when the vehicle is traveling at high speeds, the system will only apply the brakes if the vehicle is moving at less than 10 km/h (6.2 mph).

To override the system's braking input, the driver need only tap the brake themselves and the brake is released. This allows the driver to continue driving if they are trying to pull the car over to the side of an intersection or clear the way for an emergency vehicle, for example.

BMW says the functionality of the left turn assistant can also be enhanced through the use of vehicle-to-vehicle communication systems, such as its WLAN car-to-x communication unit. These allow the vehicles to exchange information, including vehicle type, position, speed, current steering angle and whether the turn indicators are activated. Using such a system in conjunction with the left turn assistant results in an increase in range of the system to 250 meters (820 ft), as well as providing the ability to detect the presence of vehicles that may not be visible to the turning vehicle.

BMW will premiere the left turn assistant at the INTERSAFE 2 Final Event on May 17 and 18 at a closed-off intersection in Wolfsburg, Germany. While the system is designed for left-hand drive countries, we assume it could easily be modified to become a right turn assistant for right-hand drive countries.
L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Making it easier for idiots to remain on the road.

I see a problem. Say you get far enough into the intersectio./road and some one is hauling ass. They werent there werent in range to be picked up but now are in range. The brakes apply and your slowing down coming to a stop. By time you tap the brake then floor the throttle pedal, it could be too late.

I want to see test vids of this.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

if this works, this needs to be mandated in all cars
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Making it easier for idiots to remain on the road.
I also see it as another excuse/crutch for more poor driving and inattentiveness
L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
if this works, this needs to be mandated in all cars
Word. I mean if the EU is thinking about making ABS mandatory on motorcycles to avoid accidents this is a no brainer...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

headed at mach one into a wall of cars driving themselves...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

well you can get your cycle endorsement on a can am now.. why not stupify cars more too..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Well that ECU wont apply makeup, text, or stuff Taco Bell while operating the vehicle...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I predict very soon, society will not know how to park, panic stop, or change lanes without looking first.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I predict very soon, society will not know how to park, panic stop, or change lanes without looking first.
Too late.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote