Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default Dallas keeps $2,000 found by honest teen

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Dalla...121609364.html

Quote:
DALLAS — Dallas will keep $2,000 found by a teenager in a parking lot last February.

The money will go into the city's general fund — not back to Plano high school student Ashley Donaldson, who found the cash in an envelope at the Pavillion Shopping Center in North Dallas.

"I don't regret making the decision I did," she said. "I feel proud of myself for giving the money back. It's one of the biggest decisions of my life."

The 15-year-old Shepton High School student spotted the money on the ground and took it to a nearby Chase Bank.

Over the last three months, the bank and Dallas police have tried to find the owner, but have had no luck.

On Tuesday, police said under a new city policy, the unclaimed money will go into Dallas' general fund — not back to the person who found it, as in years past.

"We appreciate your honesty," said Dallas police spokesman Senior Cpl. Kevin Janse. "We're going to put the money to good use. It's not going to be wasted, but put to good use for the City of Dallas."

That's not the answer Ashley Donaldson had been hoping for. "I was thinking about a car," she confessed.

It's also not the lesson her parents wanted her to learn.

"I'm happy that she did what she did, but the way it ended? I wish she didn't find it in the first place, because it certainly didn't teach her the right thing," her father Ben Donaldson said.

At the time Ashley found the envelope full of money, she was living in a one-bedroom apartment with her parents and her four brothers and sisters.

The family had recently moved to Texas from Colorado and could have used the money, but she felt that the $2,000 might mean more to its owner.

"This could be someone else's life, this could be someone's home," she said. "If I took it, I could never live down the guilt that would be in me."

Ashley said the bank was surprised to see such honesty, but her parents weren't.

"It was like an experience that presented itself — like a test — and my daughter passed with flying colors beautifully," said Ben Donaldson.

E-mail ccivale@wfaa.com
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
shmike
Follower

Quote:
It's also not the lesson her parents wanted her to learn.
Lesson:

Don't give the government anything and expect to ever see it again.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

lol @ people who thought the cops would "do the right thing."
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Lesson:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
lol @ people who thought the cops would "do the right thing."
These two motherfuckers: SPOT ON!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Lesson:

Truth.

I've often wondered what I would do in this situation and I feel the smart plan would be to slowly dole the cash out towards my cost of living. Gas, food, public transportation and maybe the odd bike part would allow me to maintain a low profile and enjoy the spoils
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Truth.

I've often wondered what I would do in this situation and I feel the smart plan would be to slowly dole the cash out towards my cost of living. Gas, food, public transportation and maybe the odd bike part would allow me to maintain a low profile and enjoy the spoils
Its a tough thing man. I'd love to find the poor bastard that dropped $2k and give it back to him, because losing $2,000 is worse than finding $2,000 is awesome....

But its cash, and if there's no one around I'm keeping it and hanging onto it for a while. Maybe someone posts an ad about the loss and I find them...but I don't think it should be used as a tax for the city.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Its a tough thing man. I'd love to find the poor bastard that dropped $2k and give it back to him, because losing $2,000 is worse than finding $2,000 is awesome....

But its cash, and if there's no one around I'm keeping it and hanging onto it for a while. Maybe someone posts an ad about the loss and I find them...but I don't think it should be used as a tax for the city.
1 billion percent truth.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

It says the police and the bank tried for 3 months to find the owner......What else do you want them to do? If anyone with half a brain dropped 2 grand on the ground next to a bank, they would have contacted the bank the very next day. But they didn't........... and plus they were given 3 more months to do so.

She made the right choice. Hanging on to the money and posting an ad in Craigslist" is laughable and self-serving to say the least. I bet less than 1% of the population even uses Craigslist, and even if they did it wouldn't be their first place to check.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

They should give her one of the auction cars. That's what she wants, give her a car.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Bottom line she did the right thing.

The bank & city did the right thing.

Till the city decided it was better for them to just keep it under a "new policy". I sure hope the local press is all over the city because of this. Complete horseshit.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote