Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default Woman in italy fined 500 Euros for wearing a burka.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl....html?ITO=1490

Quote:
'I have to keep her indoors now': Muslim husband's shocking response as wife is first to be fined £430 for wearing a burka

By Nick Pisa
Last updated at 9:11 PM on 4th May 2010

Novara Mayor Massimo Giordano introduced new local laws banning clothing that 'prevents the immediate identification of the wearer inside public buildings'

A husband has vowed to keep his wife indoors after she became the first woman in Italy to be fined for wearing a burka in public.

Amel Marmouri, 26, was handed the 500 euro (£430) penalty after she was spotted queuing inside a post office by police with her body and face fully covered by the garment.

She was warned she would receive another fine if she were spotted again in her burka.

Yesterday her husband said as a result he had no option but to stop her from going out.

Unemployed Ben Salah Braim, 36, said: 'I just don't know where we are going to get 500 euros to pay the fine.

'We thought as she was going to the mosque she was OK to wear the burka.

'We knew about the law and I know that (the law) is not against my religion but now Amel will have to stay indoors. I can't have other men looking at her.

'If the law says she can't wear one then she will have to stay inside night and day. There is nothing I can do.'

Under Italian anti-terrorist legislation, introduced during the 1970s to fight political activists, it is illegal to be seen in a public place with your face covered.

The rule has never been properly enforced but earlier this year the mayor of Novara, where the couple live, introduced local laws which ban any clothing that 'prevents the immediate identification of the wearer inside public buildings'.

The case comes days after Belgium's lower house of parliament voted to prohibit the wearing of full face veils in public.

If the senate agrees, it would become Europe's first national 'burka ban'.

Novara's Mayor Massimo Giordano is a member of the Northern League Party, which has campaigned for a clampdown on immigration and the building of mosques.

Mr Giordano said: 'I signed the new regulations for reasons of security but also so that people who come to live in our city are aware and respect our traditions.

'The regulations in Novara specifically cover people wearing clothing that prevents them from being identified in a public place, and a post office is a public place.

'This would also apply to a motorcyclist who walked into a post office wearing a crash helmet. The people of Novara do not want to see people walking around in the city wearing a burka.

'This is the only way to stop behaviour that makes the already difficult process of integration even harder.'

Police chief Paolo Cortese said: 'The fine was given because the woman was inside the post office at the time, which is a public building.'

The Northern League, which once called for the Italian Navy to shell boats carrying illegal immigrants towards the country, has called for the original 1975 terror law to be amended and make specific reference to Islamic face coverings.

The proposed wording would prohibit 'the use of female garments common among women of Islamic faith known as burkas'.

Muslim groups in Italy nsisted that Italian laws must be respected.

Imam Izzedin Elzir, president of the Islamic Community and Organisations Union in Italy, said: 'We are for the freedom of women and against veils of any kind and Italian laws must be respected.

'We as an organisation have always said that we are against face veils or coverings in Italy because the law of recognition has to be observed.'
Old 05-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
'We knew about the law and I know that (the law) is not against my religion but now Amel will have to stay indoors. I can't have other men looking at her.

'If the law says she can't wear one then she will have to stay inside night and day. There is nothing I can do.'
Insecure idiot.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

in the US they'd be raking in the dough by now.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
'This would also apply to a motorcyclist who walked into a post office wearing a crash helmet.
Haha. I love this reference! Gotta go ride and get my Crash Helmet

I wonder why any woman would want to be/remain Islamic. I see them at my gym pool a lot and they swim in these burka swimsuits. You can tell they are beautiful but they can't show anything. Simply sad.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I wonder why any woman would want to be/remain Islamic. I see them at my gym pool a lot and they swim in these burka swimsuits. You can tell they are beautiful but they can't show anything. Simply sad.
not saying right, wrong, or whatever, but if they know they're hot they probably don't need validation of same from anyone else...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
local laws which ban any clothing that 'prevents the immediate identification of the wearer inside public buildings
Yeah, you're right, idiot, she can never leave the house again.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post

I wonder why any woman would want to be/remain Islamic.
Good ol' fashioned brainwashing man.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
not saying right, wrong, or whatever, but if they know they're hot they probably don't need validation of same from anyone else...
But that's like knowing you're rich, but never spending any of your money. What's the point?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
But that's like knowing you're rich, but never spending any of your money. What's the point?
Why feel the need to show off if you have $? Not everything is "keeping up with the Jones'".

Old 05-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

I didn't mean using the money to show off........I meant using it period. Like maybe taking a nice vacation.

Money is useless if it isn't used for something. Same with beauty.