Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #81
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
yes, you work with materials that are manufactured to a much higher degree than the stuff they put on a motorcycle.

I am that mechanic, I haven't flipped burgers since working in the mid 80's.
Exactly where did you go to train as a mechanic or are you a backyard mechanic?

A battery is a battery is a battery. Here's a little experiment you can try at home with something cheap.

Find something that is powered with one small battery that requires little to no amperage, measure your voltage and current. Now go out and get like 30 or 40 of those batteries and hook them all up in parallel and see what you voltage you have. Now hook that parallel bank of batteries up to your device and measure voltage and current again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 03-19-2009 at 09:35 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #82
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
If only there was a device to keep your battery charged while it sits...

Ahem...

The FBI would call that a clue...

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #83
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Exactly where did you go to train as a mechanic or are you a backyard mechanic?

A battery is a battery is a battery. Here's a little experiment you can try at home with something cheap.

Find something that is powered with one small battery that requires little to no amperage, measure your voltage and current. Now go out and get like 30 or 40 of those batteries and hook them all up in parallel and see what you voltage you have. Now hook that parallel bank of batteries up to your device and measure voltage and current again.
if you reread what I said, you are taking the chance that there is no weak part in your system. I have seen it happen with my own eyes. I have worked with mechanics that have 20+ years in the field that can back me up.

Quote:
theory isn't reliable in the real world.

ask any EE if you can jump a bike with a car battery, in theory it works, in practice I have seen electronics fried.
Quote:
it's just that EE's will say that it can never happen, what they don't take into account is a weak part and that usually ends up being the igniter/cdi. it's up to you if you want to take the chance.
Quote:
available amperage from a motorcycle battery is much lower than the smallest car battery.

just because you have never seen it doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened.
Quote:
yes, you work with materials that are manufactured to a much higher degree than the stuff they put on a motorcycle.

I am that mechanic, I haven't flipped burgers since working in the mid 80's.

yes I do understand that with a perfect system that you are correct but every time you hook it up to a car battery you are taking the chance that the manufacturer that built those parts the cheapest didn't put one of the parts with a lower tolerance in your bike. giving out advice that it can not or will not damage the bike can be incorrect. that is all I am saying. it can damage a weak link in the system.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #84
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

:na:

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #85
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
if you reread what I said, you are taking the chance that there is no weak part in your system. I have seen it happen with my own eyes. I have worked with mechanics that have 20+ years in the field that can back me up.

yes I do understand that with a perfect system that you are correct but every time you hook it up to a car battery you are taking the chance that the manufacturer that built those parts the cheapest didn't put one of the parts with a lower tolerance in your bike. giving out advice that it can not or will not damage the bike can be incorrect. that is all I am saying. it can damage a weak link in the system.
What you don't seem to get is that 12v's is 12v's. The current draw from 12v's is based on the load resistance.
I=E/R (go read up on Ohm's law)

Also Automotive grade components are better than commercial grade components, because of the expected operating temperature range.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #86
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
What you don't seem to get is that 12v's is 12v's. The current draw from 12v's is based on the load resistance.

Also Automotive grade components are better than commercial grade components, because of the expected operating temperature range.
Alright now kids, Ohm's law has just been quoted, this thread has officially been hijacked...let's close it down before fatkid gets pissed and starts Trunking EVERYONE!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #87
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

This thread is beyond gay.

:ji mmy:

:badpost:

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #88
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post

Ohm's law ftmfw

Quote:

yes, because the few mechanics you "work with" overrides two fully qualified working electrical engineers that have both spent time in the field and not just at a desk. Hell we are first person sources with the technical and professional background to answer such questions. To your, oh my mechanic buddy says so. Find me one credible source because so far you have none. Fatburg and I can testify in court as subject matter experts in electrical distribution systems, I don't think the same can be said for you buddies.

If a part fails from a car battery, it wasn't designed to handle 12v or damaged before you put the car battery on. Electrical devices don't just up and start drawing tons of amps unless you have a short or damaged electrical system in either case the motorcycle battery would cause the same outcome. If anyone shouldn't be giving out advice on this matter, it's you who has no working knowledge of electrical systems except from a craft point of view. Now if you want to say how to change a wire or install a relay, that's different. Talking about how you understand the concepts of electron flow is not in your range of knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #89
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

huh huh, Trip said "flow"

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #90
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Did it more often on my old bike, but I've done it, I'll admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
This thread is beyond gay.

:ji mmy:

:badpost:
WTF happened? I just skimmed over page 1, all was well and good, then I get back here to the last page and WHOAH... shit all over the place!
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote