Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #81
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I like em. For precesion Im not big on digital. I wonder how accurrate the hyo's mph is?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #82
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

prolly no better than anything else's
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #83
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
As far as Horror stories go EVERY Brand has them and again The same lack of Dealerships and support was sighted by my dad (which is odd cause at the time he was riding Victoria Burgermiester) and his Harley/Indian Chronies when they Talked about Honda back in 1963/1964 I don't know if they will be in the states ten years from now but good odds they will be and if New England reflects the rest of the country the Dealer Network is only Growing. (BTW By law there has to be a means of getting parts for 10 years. ) Brand Snobbery amazes saddens me but Your point about dealer Network is well taken. Back in 06 when the wife and I were looking for a Luxury Tourer we were down to picking Between the Goldwing and the BMW LT both are GREAT bikes at the same price point, each a little better is some areas than the other but for us it came down to Service Networks You have to leave the planet not to be able to find a Honda Dealer (If dad were alive I wonder what he would say)
From what I understand is that law is there to make sure a manufactures still parts for 10 years. If the company doesn't survive who are they going to force to build parts?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #84
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
From what I understand is that law is there to make sure a manufactures still parts for 10 years. If the company doesn't survive who are they going to force to build parts?

James
If they want to do business in the US at all then they have to supply the parts. This applies to all their parent companies, subsidaries and partnerships too. They can pull out of the US market completely and still make parts available through suppliers (this is where it gets rough) or over the phone or internet and ship them from their korea here. As long as you can buy them here then they are covered. But, and this is the but, imagine trying to order a brake lever over the phone, a call which is long distance to korea, to some guy who barely understands english, then having to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. Thats what scares me, especially since I can go to my local honda dealership, most any motorcycel parts store, or over the internet and buy one. Even if they dont have it in stock, I do guarantee you that they can get one at their shop or your front door within 1-2 days depending on the time of day you order it. I cant say that with any certainty that you can do anything better than buy parts from ebay about hyosung.

You also should think about the resale factor.. How much can you resell it for? A quick look in craigslist shows me a 2008 250 for $1300, and an 07 650 for $2100. Thats a big drop from $4k for the 250 and $6k for the 650 especially over a 2 & 3 year period. I guarantee you I can turn around and sell my honda for just about what I paid for it right now, and not too much of a price drop over the next few years, same goes for any of the big 4 jap bikes or larger known euro bikes.

Its not that I have anything against Hyosung, I've been using their ATM machines for years, but they have to prove to me that they can last in this country, build quality bikes that last, and that I can easily buy their parts.

For my money I would rather buy an early 90s 250 ninja for $1300 than a 07 Hyo 250.

And just as a side note, I'm not sure I really trust anything I've read about the company. I've seen a few forum postings that were very negative, but alot of positive reviews from questionable (motorcycle.com) sources. And again if anyone is interested, just save you money and buy a bike that has a decent reputation, like any of the jap big 4

Last edited by derf; 11-08-2009 at 02:53 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #85
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I like em. For precesion Im not big on digital. I wonder how accurrate the hyo's mph is?
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...650-14284.html

8-12% off from actual speeds.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #86
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

The Koreans copy alot of stuff and Hyosung is no different. The problem is there is only so much you can copy if you don't exactly understand why stuff is engineered the way it is.

I'd rather pay a few grand more for Japanese bikes personally, but the 250 EFI is nice. Carbs suck, except for long distance cruising.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #87
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
If they want to do business in the US at all then they have to supply the parts. This applies to all their parent companies, subsidaries and partnerships too. They can pull out of the US market completely and still make parts available through suppliers (this is where it gets rough) or over the phone or internet and ship them from their korea here. As long as you can buy them here then they are covered. But, and this is the but, imagine trying to order a brake lever over the phone, a call which is long distance to korea, to some guy who barely understands english, then having to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. Thats what scares me, especially since I can go to my local honda dealership, most any motorcycel parts store, or over the internet and buy one. Even if they dont have it in stock, I do guarantee you that they can get one at their shop or your front door within 1-2 days depending on the time of day you order it. I cant say that with any certainty that you can do anything better than buy parts from ebay about hyosung.

You also should think about the resale factor.. How much can you resell it for? A quick look in craigslist shows me a 2008 250 for $1300, and an 07 650 for $2100. Thats a big drop from $4k for the 250 and $6k for the 650 especially over a 2 & 3 year period. I guarantee you I can turn around and sell my honda for just about what I paid for it right now, and not too much of a price drop over the next few years, same goes for any of the big 4 jap bikes or larger known euro bikes.

Its not that I have anything against Hyosung, I've been using their ATM machines for years, but they have to prove to me that they can last in this country, build quality bikes that last, and that I can easily buy their parts.

For my money I would rather buy an early 90s 250 ninja for $1300 than a 07 Hyo 250.

And just as a side note, I'm not sure I really trust anything I've read about the company. I've seen a few forum postings that were very negative, but alot of positive reviews from questionable (motorcycle.com) sources. And again if anyone is interested, just save you money and buy a bike that has a decent reputation, like any of the jap big 4
I understand all that but what I'm saying is if the company itself goes under then there is no one to follow that law.

I was also going to bring up the resale value as well. Last night someone was showing how they are about $1400 cheaper then the SV. The first thing that came to my mind is what would be the resale (even though I don't look at resale when I buy a product) would be. I can't see them holding their price very well. If they are not know for reliability then who is going to pay much for a used one?

I myself wouldn't buy one. To tell the truth I didn't even know they were into the larger bikes now. All brands break down. Every last one of them. Some more then others. What it comes down to is which one are you willing to spend you money repairing?

I know a guy that has one of those flat deck scooters that are like the ones the kids use but its larger and has a gas engine on it. He bought it used and got it really cheap. But he has been spending a lot of money repairing it because if the engine manufacture. If it was a Briggs or a Honda engine he would have no problem getting parts. For this one they are hard to get and if he can get them they are really expensive.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #88
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Hyosung (actualy it is Branded Hyosung-Suzuki in Seoul my brohter and his wife last evening from Seoul has been around forever in and they are not going away. I am unlikely to go buy one of their bikes (to Small) but the reality is that you will never have problem getting parts beyond shipping time should they stop selling here in the states. That said there seems to be a lot of people that need somebody else's bike to be less than. I would agree that they are not at Japanese levels of engineering or quality YET. I have no doubt 10 years from now they will be an established brand with a good following
Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #89
Digifox
Cl4p-Trap

Moto: Your mom.

You all know Hyosung COULD be the next big brand....

Think for a second
Klodike is ACTUALLY a Knock off brand of Eskimo Pies(which didnt fare to well)
and now Klondike the Knock off(no name brand) is the biggest name......

Who's to say a "cheap imitation" brand like Hyosung couldn't become the next Honda or Kawasaki?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #90
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifox View Post
You all know Hyosung COULD be the next big brand....

Think for a second
Klodike is ACTUALLY a Knock off brand of Eskimo Pies(which didnt fare to well)
and now Klondike the Knock off(no name brand) is the biggest name......

Who's to say a "cheap imitation" brand like Hyosung couldn't become the next Honda or Kawasaki?
Damn now I want a klondike!
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote