Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #71
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Try phycox tabs. They are all natural and work wonders for hip & joint stuff.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #72
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Ahh man, only 5 years old. That sucks.

I bet you've already done a ton of research on it. The raw diet IS supposed to be better for dogs with dysplasia. The vet told us when we adopted our Lab that she'd never be able to run. Now she regularly pulls my wife miles upon miles on rollerblades.
Sadie is in that boat too... we considered prescription drugs. But, didn't want her to be reliant on us in order to walk. It's about quality of life - I wanted to try other things first before going to something she required every day.

She has literally turned into a puppy again. Heather can attest to the change in her attitude - she stayed at my house the last week Sadie ate kibble. And, was at my house on Saturday. Same dog, TOTALLY different attitude. She is really now acting like a puppy, all excited and giddy

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #73
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Sadie is in that boat too... we considered prescription drugs. But, didn't want her to be reliant on us in order to walk. It's about quality of life - I wanted to try other things first before going to something she required every day.

She has literally turned into a puppy again. Heather can attest to the change in her attitude - she stayed at my house the last week Sadie ate kibble. And, was at my house on Saturday. Same dog, TOTALLY different attitude. She is really now acting like a puppy, all excited and giddy
No seriously....she's like retarded goofy happy playful. It's hilarious and awesome.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #74
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

So, where are you guys getting the info to get started on a raw diet? How do you introduce it, what kinds of foods do my dogs need, etc?
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #75
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Wanted to post an update real quick for cat owners.

I broke down and let my wife get a kitty. In an effort to make her part of the pack from our dog's POV we feed her in the same room and same time as the dogs. I quickly learned that she much prefers raw meat over kitty kibble....because she kept getting in their food bowl. So from then on we just feed her raw like the doggies.

I slice some meat off the dogs chicken or whatever and she eats it down. No bone though. Anyway, seems to be working well so far.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #76
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I can understand raw red meat, but I would be concerned about the dog getting sick eating raw fish that was not prepared correctly and raw chicken. Why not just feed them raw red meats? And is alot of fat a problem?

How does cooked meats compare to raw?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #77
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I can understand raw red meat, but I would be concerned about the dog getting sick eating raw fish that was not prepared correctly and raw chicken. Why not just feed them raw red meats? And is alot of fat a problem?

How does cooked meats compare to raw?
They have the digestive system to take care of the things in raw chicken that would make you or me sick. You can't feed them chicken alone and I do feed raw red meats as well, depending on what is on sale that week. They also get eggs, cottage cheese, leftovers, pork and so on.

Red meat is $2+ lb vs. chicken at $.59 a lb. so chicken is the obvious choice to make up the bulk of their protein.

As the bones are part of their diet and cooked bones are dangerous to dogs feeding cooked is not an option. I do buy a big bag of quarters every week, boil that and strip the meat for a quick meal that isn't messy when I'm in a rush. Its more of a back up meal. A lot of fat is not a problem because they are not eating carbs, only fat and protein. Whole chickens have a good fat/protein ration.

In the time that I've been doing this I've seen my dogs digestive problems (throwing up, diarrhea, farts) virtually disappear. They have not been sick at all in the last 6 months.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #78
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
In the time that I've been doing this I've seen my dogs digestive problems (throwing up, diarrhea, farts) virtually disappear. They have not been sick at all in the last 6 months.
Sadie's medical issues are completely gone. We no longer give her supplements - her annual vet appointment is next week. A year ago she had problems walking, had seizures and would throw up on occasion. She is a retriever, that couldn't PLAY fetch... it's part of her soul to do it - so we had to hide tennis balls from her or she would hurt herself going into the back yard to throw the ball for herself if we didn't do it. She is now back to retrieving like she did a year ago like a puppy - she now jumps, runs and will dive into the air to catch balls.

I completely attribute a raw food diet to this.

She gets yogurt, liver, eggs and banana/celery/peppers in the morning - chicken in the evening.

Thanks Josh. Really. TRULY. Sadie thanks you.... I'd take a picture, but she's afraid of cameras [they steal your soul...]

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 09-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #79
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

These meals sound like mine. LOL...minus the raw meat part, though I eat 12 raw eggs a day.

How do you give the dog raw eggs? Mix is up with other stuff?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #80
azoomm
moderator chick

It's an involved process... crack egg in bowl - give bowl to dog. She LOVES eggs. No, LOVE love LOVE LoVEs eggs.

Come Play at the Track!!