Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #71
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
D&D can KMA. GP cans FTW. I'm running scorpion cans right now (less than stellar stuff), and my Honda sounds good. IMHO, a good sounding bike is much better than an obnoxiously loud bike that sounds like ass
Yea, my friend has a Scorpion on his R6... good stuff too...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #72
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
Leon's had the highmount M4's. Sounds so sick.
That is the only other brand I'd run on the TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
D&D FTW....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
fuck that... D&D is shit. just obnoxously loud.

sorry but not much beats the sound of a V-Twin... cept maybe a MotoGP bike... IMO.
Exactly... I wouldn't put a D&D on anything if you wanted to pay for them yourself. FUCK THAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post

I'd run straight pipes before running D&D...
Exactly!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #73
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

97 TLS is one of the coolest bikes ever created. Cool ride.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #74
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

OSP.. congrats!!! Now I understand your responses in the other thread, and apologize for being a bit of a bitch about it.

Twins FTMFW. Srsly.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #75
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
OSP.. congrats!!! Now I understand your responses in the other thread, and apologize for being a bit of a bitch about it.

Twins FTMFW. Srsly.
You can be as much of a bitch as you want... I could care less.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #76
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Finally I can reply!

First of all, she's purty! LOVE the mighty TLR.

Your comments about it so far seem to be pretty spot on to me. Here are my suggestions.

Keep an eye on the WERA board for a full titanium system. I don't mean a stainless system with titanium cans. FULL titanium. Header, midpipes, cans, the whole smack. It was a $2,000 system from Yoshi back in the day. Rare if you can find it now, but light as hell. I weighed mine when I got it, and the whole thing was 11 pounds with the cans. The header diameter is a little bit larger too. I'll rip off a sound file of it next week, along with a sound file with the cans off. I kid you not, the thing vibrates the floor and sounds like a NASCAR 350.

For the suspension, have the front forks reworked to match your weight, and keep an eye out for a Penske or Ohlins. I put a Penske triple adjustable on mine, but I don't think they make them anymore. Not sure. I have one already.

The next thing you'll want to do is to replace the stock steering damper with an aftermarket unit. I have a Hyperpro on mine. The stock damper is entirely too stiff in my opinion.

Next, start looking for a set of light wheels. I put 5 spoke magnesium Marchesinis on mine. They are the way to go. I found them on Ebay for a serious steal. When you do your search, spell it wrong on purpose, try a few different ways. That's how I got mine. I was the only one to bid on them.

After you get this far, if you're not dirt poor yet, get a set of steel braided lines. I put Kevlar lines on mine, and they do help. I do want to put a set of Brembo brakes on it. Archren's Brembos stop like yesterday and I want that stopping power on my TLR. That's the *only* mod left that I can justify to the bike. You won't find any *bling* or faux carbon fiber on it. Every single mod is specifically aimed at improving performance.

Oh, I almost forgot. I pulled the motor and ported / polished the heads and valves, and bumped the compression a little by leaving off the base gasket between the block and the cylinder.

That presented me with a unique problem though. Now, the thing bangs the rev limiter like a raped ape and scared the holy shit out of me the first time it did it, it was so quick. I *really* need another 1500 rpm in revs, so if anybody happens to know where I can get my grubby little hands on a factory race kit Yoshimura computer (adjustable rev limiter) I would be very grateful.

The above mods have put my TLR in the 410 lb range dry, and I dare anybody to call that heavy (just had to give my girlfriend a look since she's sitting here and said *It's heavy.* She'll get her's later.) It's also amazingly easy to service. I can change spark plugs in 30 minutes. Valve checks are equally easy.

I'll work on those sound files this week. The TLR makes mere mortals tremble, and girls need private moments with themselves.

You chose well.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #77
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Finally I can reply!

First of all, she's purty! LOVE the mighty TLR.

Your comments about it so far seem to be pretty spot on to me. Here are my suggestions.

Keep an eye on the WERA board for a full titanium system. I don't mean a stainless system with titanium cans. FULL titanium. Header, midpipes, cans, the whole smack. It was a $2,000 system from Yoshi back in the day. Rare if you can find it now, but light as hell. I weighed mine when I got it, and the whole thing was 11 pounds with the cans. The header diameter is a little bit larger too. I'll rip off a sound file of it next week, along with a sound file with the cans off. I kid you not, the thing vibrates the floor and sounds like a NASCAR 350.

For the suspension, have the front forks reworked to match your weight, and keep an eye out for a Penske or Ohlins. I put a Penske triple adjustable on mine, but I don't think they make them anymore. Not sure. I have one already.

The next thing you'll want to do is to replace the stock steering damper with an aftermarket unit. I have a Hyperpro on mine. The stock damper is entirely too stiff in my opinion.

Next, start looking for a set of light wheels. I put 5 spoke magnesium Marchesinis on mine. They are the way to go. I found them on Ebay for a serious steal. When you do your search, spell it wrong on purpose, try a few different ways. That's how I got mine. I was the only one to bid on them.

After you get this far, if you're not dirt poor yet, get a set of steel braided lines. I put Kevlar lines on mine, and they do help. I do want to put a set of Brembo brakes on it. Archren's Brembos stop like yesterday and I want that stopping power on my TLR. That's the *only* mod left that I can justify to the bike. You won't find any *bling* or faux carbon fiber on it. Every single mod is specifically aimed at improving performance.

Oh, I almost forgot. I pulled the motor and ported / polished the heads and valves, and bumped the compression a little by leaving off the base gasket between the block and the cylinder.

That presented me with a unique problem though. Now, the thing bangs the rev limiter like a raped ape and scared the holy shit out of me the first time it did it, it was so quick. I *really* need another 1500 rpm in revs, so if anybody happens to know where I can get my grubby little hands on a factory race kit Yoshimura computer (adjustable rev limiter) I would be very grateful.

The above mods have put my TLR in the 410 lb range dry, and I dare anybody to call that heavy (just had to give my girlfriend a look since she's sitting here and said *It's heavy.* She'll get her's later.) It's also amazingly easy to service. I can change spark plugs in 30 minutes. Valve checks are equally easy.

I'll work on those sound files this week. The TLR makes mere mortals tremble, and girls need private moments with themselves.

You chose well.
Thanks for the suggestions... I think I'm going to start with maintenance stuff and work my way up... I don't see myself ever buying crazy light wheels or anything quite that pricey... the ti exhaust totally gives me wood, but I doubt I can ever find it for the money I'm willing to spend...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #78
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Archren's Brembos stop like yesterday and I want that stopping power on my TLR. That's the *only* mod left that I can justify to the bike. You won't find any *bling* or faux carbon fiber on it. Every single mod is specifically aimed at improving performance.
Yup.. those Brembos will stop on a dime. If you can find 'em for a reasonable price, I highly recommend them. Sure MSF says braking with two fingers is bad... but any more than that, you'll be doing stoppies without even meaning to.

Quote:
(just had to give my girlfriend a look since she's sitting here and said *It's heavy.* She'll get her's later.)
It's a pig. j/k

Quote:

You chose well.
I may have a Ducati, but I fucking love that TLR. He let me ride it once.. punk was supposed to bring it down this weekend, but he pussied out. So I missed out on riding it again... next week, though.

I may get to have another private moment with it.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #79
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:

That presented me with a unique problem though. Now, the thing bangs the rev limiter like a raped ape and scared the holy shit out of me the first time it did it, it was so quick. I *really* need another 1500 rpm in revs, so if anybody happens to know where I can get my grubby little hands on a factory race kit Yoshimura computer (adjustable rev limiter) I would be very grateful..

two things. why not just mill the head and keep the base gasket? i never built a tl engine, but in general i would mill the head, or even get a dif size (thickness) gasket, but never ditch the gasket.

and why are there no pics of this tlr u speak of? it sounds badass, i wana see it
Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #80
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
two things. why not just mill the head and keep the base gasket? i never built a tl engine, but in general i would mill the head, or even get a dif size (thickness) gasket, but never ditch the gasket.

and why are there no pics of this tlr u speak of? it sounds badass, i wana see it
He posted it in a different thread... and since he's sitting next to me, he gave me his blessing.

I love this bike. I also forbade him to *ever* sell it... on pain of death.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tlr3.jpg (59.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00048.JPG (44.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00049.JPG (54.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00050.JPG (34.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00051.JPG (51.8 KB, 77 views)

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote