View Poll Results: Choose one.
Your bike 29 70.73%
Your woman 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #71
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I hear the Klim or Kilm stuff is awesome for hot weather riding.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #72
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
If an ultimatum is ever given, expect a suitcase to be thrown in your face. If I ever heard, "It's me or X" you better be fucking packed and have a place to stay lined up.

But the same is true for him. Ultimatums have no place in a relationship IMO. Especially over something as trivial as a motorcycle.

That being said...he mentioned getting a street bike for commuting. My heart just sank and he knew it. The issue was dropped and not talked about since. He knows why I can't deal with either of us commuting on two wheels right now and the "choice" never had to be made. We respect each other. It's simple.
So, no ultimatums, but he's not allowed to commute on a bike? How does that make ANY sense?

Your on a bike forum, and you dont want your SO to ride? On top of that, you own multiple bikes?

Thats some kinda crazy you got going on in your head there.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #73
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
So, no ultimatums, but he's not allowed to commute on a bike? How does that make ANY sense?

Your on a bike forum, and you dont want your SO to ride? On top of that, you own multiple bikes?

Thats some kinda crazy you got going on in your head there.
I have never allowed my husband to do anything. I'm not his mommy.

He mentioned it, the look on my face said, "remember last year when I had to be air lifted because some little bitch hit me with her car?" and he respected the fact that I can't mentally deal with him OR me commuting in Austin traffic with about 4 bajillion teenage girls around to hit one of us. Besides, it wasn't an idea he had because he wanted to ride, but he wanted to save some money, buy a cheap bike and not have to buy a car for a while.

I own two bikes that I am working on. Neither of them run and even if they did, we wouldn't ride them on the street. I still love bikes, but riding on the street is not an option for us right now. Until you get hit by a car by no fault of your own, you cannot possibly understand the mental and emotional issues that go along with it. It may be different for everyone, but I would have a panic attack everyday thinking about him or me riding in traffic and I'd rather not deal with that stress. K thanks bye.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #74
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

4 bajillion teenage girls you say
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #75
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Sleeping with your crew makes you appear as nothing more than a run of the mill curb squirrel...and causes drama if you break up, breaking the crew up, causing hard feelings if one gets ya and the other doesnt, etc etc...bringing in someone to the group that you are dating can often cause the same thing.
This. It's kinda like those of us in the military dating/marrying people also in the military (particularly anyone in the same unit )... yes, it's awesome having someone who really "gets" what you're going through or the things you really enjoy, but sometimes it's more heartache than it's worth. Case by case basis, I suppose...

Thankfully, the guys I've been with since I've started riding have all understood implicitly that bikes were my first true love. And that I'm also a pretty decent shot. An ultimatum involving the bike is simply out of the question. The bike would win, hands down. It took me a while to learn this, but I simply refuse to forsake the things and the people that make me happy (and without which I would be miserable) for a person who can't appreciate the sacrifice anyway.

Could I learn to make do without bikes? Well, obviously, although it sucks. I've made do for 6 months without riding (with a 2 week respite.. although I still only got about 300 miles on the bike in that time ), but my job is a choice *I* made knowing full well what I would be getting into and the sacrifices I would have to make, particularly when I re-enlisted for another 6 years in 2007. Call me a glutton for punishment, but active duty life has kinda grown on me a little. Now if I can just get into aviation after this rotation....

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #76
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
well that and now he's an elitist snob
You say that like it's a bad thing.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #77
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I have never allowed my husband to do anything. I'm not his mommy.

He mentioned it, the look on my face said, "remember last year when I had to be air lifted because some little bitch hit me with her car?" and he respected the fact that I can't mentally deal with him OR me commuting in Austin traffic with about 4 bajillion teenage girls around to hit one of us. Besides, it wasn't an idea he had because he wanted to ride, but he wanted to save some money, buy a cheap bike and not have to buy a car for a while.

I own two bikes that I am working on. Neither of them run and even if they did, we wouldn't ride them on the street. I still love bikes, but riding on the street is not an option for us right now. Until you get hit by a car by no fault of your own, you cannot possibly understand the mental and emotional issues that go along with it. It may be different for everyone, but I would have a panic attack everyday thinking about him or me riding in traffic and I'd rather not deal with that stress. K thanks bye.
You're right about it being different for everyone. I've been hit by two cars and another bike. Two of those resulted in ambulance trips; fortunately nothing worse than a broken collarbone in one case and bruising so bad that I thought they were going to have to amputate something very dear to me in the other (fortunately an unnecessary procedure). Admittedly I haven't ridden much recently but these issues were no more recent than 2000, and not the reason I've been slacking.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #78
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing.
no... i'm just jealous
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #79
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

given this ultimatum, your bags are already packed and on the porch, GTFO bitch! question answered. next question of importance.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #80
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

A choice between a guy and a bike? My bike. Motorcycles are not my life, but I am not good at compromising.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote