Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #71
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
Looks like its healing nicely. As far as PT goes, focus on exercises that strengthen the quads. However, avoid leg extensions like the plague. They are hell on knee structure unless done 100% correctly. Best of luck. It takes a while to get back to 100%, so be patient.
what can you do that works the quad that isn't basically the same movement as leg extensions?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #72
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
yeah I hear ya... have you atleast been able to work on streetfightering it? or your mobility or lack there of made it too difficult?
Yeah, there's no way I'd be able to navigate the garage in the condition I am in... Plus my dad's trailer is in there so there's no fucking room to work on anything... I'd have to move the bike out and I don't trust myself at this point yet... Not sure if I could throw my leg over it for one and if it started to come over on me, I'd probably end up eating shit and fucking up my knee even worse...

Quote:
Looks like its healing nicely. As far as PT goes, focus on exercises that strengthen the quads. However, avoid leg extensions like the plague. They are hell on knee structure unless done 100% correctly. Best of luck. It takes a while to get back to 100%, so be patient.
My plan was to do leg extensions, sans weights to start... Also thinking of getting an exercise bike... What exercises would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
what can you do that works the quad that isn't basically the same movement as leg extensions?
Squats? Step ups?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #73
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Yeah, there's no way I'd be able to navigate the garage in the condition I am in... Plus my dad's trailer is in there so there's no fucking room to work on anything... I'd have to move the bike out and I don't trust myself at this point yet... Not sure if I could throw my leg over it for one and if it started to come over on me, I'd probably end up eating shit and fucking up my knee even worse...

My plan was to do leg extensions, sans weights to start... Also thinking of getting an exercise bike... What exercises would you recommend?

Squats? Step ups?

yeah very true... and the TLR isn't light from what I've heard.

I was think'n squats and stepups would be basically the same movement.. but I guess now that I think about it it's more the pulling on your knee with extensions that would be stressful on the structure
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #74
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Quote:

Squats? Step ups?
Leg extensions are ok, but have to be done just right. If you start an extension at 90 degrees (inclusive angle between the upper and lower leg), it will put a lot of undue strain on your knee (the joint is bone on bone at this point). If you start it at about 135 degrees, it won't be so bad. My ortho told me that leg extension injuries alone could keep him in business.

I would start on an elliptical, which is low stress. Use the elliptical without holding on to the handles. Using the machine in this method will help you get your muscle balance back. When you have trauma to either wheel, you unconsciously compensate with the other leg, and lose a lot of muscle balance. An exercise bike also works, but I found that it didn't work my bad leg as well as an elliptical. A bike also doesn't help the balance muscles.

After you feel good on the elliptical, seated leg presses and v-squats will help rebuild the quad and surrounding muscles. Start out light with lots of reps, then work your way up.

Oh, and don't forget to stretch. Get your range of motion back as soon as possible.

Again, good luck. It sucks being hobbled.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #75
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Leg extensions are ok, but have to be done just right. If you start an extension at 90 degrees (inclusive angle between the upper and lower leg), it will put a lot of undue strain on your knee (the joint is bone on bone at this point). If you start it at about 135 degrees, it won't be so bad. My ortho told me that leg extension injuries alone could keep him in business.

I would start on an elliptical, which is low stress. Use the elliptical without holding on to the handles. Using the machine in this method will help you get your muscle balance back. When you have trauma to either wheel, you unconsciously compensate with the other leg, and lose a lot of muscle balance. An exercise bike also works, but I found that it didn't work my bad leg as well as an elliptical. A bike also doesn't help the balance muscles.

After you feel good on the elliptical, seated leg presses and v-squats will help rebuild the quad and surrounding muscles. Start out light with lots of reps, then work your way up.

Oh, and don't forget to stretch. Get your range of motion back as soon as possible.

Again, good luck. It sucks being hobbled.
Very good point with the elliptical, I could definitely see that working on the muscle balance again.

And I was also going to suggest the seated leg presses since they seem to put a lot less stress on my knees when I do them compared to true squats.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #76
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Appreciate the input... I'm looking at bustedass machines on Craigslist...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #77
t-homo
WSB Champion

Those pics are gross. Hope you make it on the bike and recover fully soon.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #78
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Screw all that shit. Find you a hot tramp and have shower sex. Works my legs like crazy!!!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #79
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Quote:
No problem. I wound up joining a cheap gym for $19 per month and ruined their equipment.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #80
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Screw all that shit. Find you a hot tramp and have shower sex. Works my legs like crazy!!!

Ha I thought about that too but didn't have time to post! Yea,you could start with a small chick and work your way up to a bbf!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote